Securing Pergola Posts

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by NikM, Mar 21, 2021.

1. NikM

NikM New Member

Hi All,

New to this space but also slightly new to my interest in developing my house!

I am looking to install a pergola in my back garden but am not sure on the most suitable way to secure the posts. As you all know the wind in the UK can be bad and so the last thing I want is the pergola falling over!

I am looking to build the pergola on top of block paving and have looked at the bolt down option where I purchase brackets and drill into the masonry using a hammer drill? Since the pergola will be next to my patio door, I was thinking of also securing two of the posts to the wall if needed...

I am avoiding the option to concrete the posts in placd.

Please advise what you all suggest!! TIA!!

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Masking tape around post wood just above ground and I painted that with anti rot black rubber stuff before I fitted post. Pull tape so have a neat line and will last 30+ years easy if not way more. Concrete in.
    Or
    Use chemical fixing with resin bolts but you need something solid to fix to. Not that nice to look at though. I prefer concrete in. Just don't go silly with concrete. 12-18 inches down and 10 inches or less wide. Post create will work nice... Screwfix sell the wood rubber paint stuff...

3. Pazzy

Pazzy New Member

Maybe...
    Lift the block paving where the posts are, dig a hole and fill with concrete or cemetous grout. Put the block paving back down. Then drill though into the concrete and secure with thunder bolts through the brackets?

Just a suggestion for a novice diyer