Securing to a plaster wall with cavity behing

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by u0362565, Feb 2, 2020.

1. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to secure a wooden side panel of a box I've made for a consumer unit to a wall. The issue is the section of wall the side panel is going to be fixed to appears to be a thin layer of solid plaster with a cavity behind then masonry. There is no evidence of laths (old property) at least where I have drilled my 4 holes through the plaster layer. The gap to the masonry behind the plaster is maybe 10-20mm. I was going to put wall plugs through the plaster and some of it into the masonry behind (likely stone). The wall links to the flat next door, reckon this is load bearing and structural. The plug would be flush with the plaster layer, so guessing I'd need a long plug to go enough into the masonry but does this sound like best option? I was trying to be minimally invasive with a 30mm+ plug but reckon I need an 8mm diameter and longer. The plaster is not strong and very thin so have to go to the masonry I reckon. I'm more interested in how they plastered this in the first place..

Thanks for the advice

2. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

These work in many different types void-crumbly wall's,just need to drill the exact size hole into the masonry https://www.drylinepro.com/

3. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Thanks for that. I've put some plugs in that I have for now but dont have the right screw length so will see how secure they are. With the plug in the masonry not the plaster layer I guess I'm a bit concerned about putting too much pressure on the plaster when there is nothing immediately behind to transfer the pressure to the masonry. Will try not to torque the screws too much.