Security Light - How to activate PIR sensor ??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tph1, Sep 8, 2008.

1. tph1

tph1 Member

Hi,

My electrician put in a security light a few years back and I can't remember how to activate the PIR sensor. The light is controlled from an internal light switch, so I can currently have it either ON or OFF.

He showed me a way of changing the light to PIR mode (ie it only comes on when motion is detected), by switching the switch on and off.... I can't remember the exact sequence and pause required to do this though...

Any one got any ideas ??

(the light is a fairly cheapo one...)

Thanks

2. BIG LEROY

BIG LEROY New Member

If it's wired with a 3 core and earth then the sensor should be working anyway as well as the override option.

If only 2 core and earth then he may have wired it up as only on off.

You would have to change the wiring around inside taking the switched live from the red to the brown.

Why not ask him.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wouldn't surprise me if it's 'On, off-on', the off-on being almost no time between.

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. gerrin2owd

gerrin2owd New Member

PIR mode - try switching on to off - wait 20 secs switch on.
    On mode - try switching on to off then on again immediately

5. tph1

tph1 Member

Thanks guys.

I've had the PIR working so its not a wiring issue. The bulb was broke for a year, so I've forgotten how to activate it.

Now its either ON or OFF - not much of an energy saving security device..

will try your hint andy

6. tph1

tph1 Member

thanks also gerrin2owd - you got there whilst i was replying

7. wally2

wally2 New Member

I would go with gerrin, thats how most of the overrides work nowadays, I think manual on switch off/on within 2 sec & auto min 10 sec. Got to remember that when it comes on in auto mode the light may stay on a few minutes on the timer even in daylight

8. BIG LEROY

BIG LEROY New Member

If it comes on when the switch is in the on position, but will not when it's in the off position, then your 'fairly cheapo' light is fecked :(

9. wally2

wally2 New Member

My lights don't come on when my switches are in the off position, looks as if imm going to have to replace them all.

10. BIG LEROY

BIG LEROY New Member

Are you being facetious, Wally.

One was referring about his override switch for the security light and not his 1g 1w switches in his other rooms.

If wired with 3 core and earth, then the light should operate with the switch in either position, unless the sensor is fecked.

:)