Security light on in the day?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by boswellali, Feb 3, 2007.

1. boswellali

boswellali New Member

I have fitted a PIR to control my security light, It works perfect but i detects me in daylight.

I have tried to adjust the three controls but to no avail, there is a moon and sun, clock, light bulb on & off controls.

The clock is the timer but whats the rest they dont seem to have an impact, Can any body help?

P.s. can i reverse a photo cell so it switches on during daylight (this is a seperate query nothing to do with the PIR)

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Take a look under the PIR and you will see a little sticker over the light sensor. This puts the PIR in test mode. You need to remove this sticker for it to operate correctly. Then you can adjust it. ;)

Hope this helps

UP

3. oscar21

oscar21 New Member

Take a look under the PIR and you will see a little
    sticker over the light sensor. This puts the PIR in
    test mode. You need to remove this sticker for it to
    operate correctly. Then you can adjust it. ;)

Hope this helps

UP

Possibly, but if one of the dials underneath has a sun and a moon then probably not. The sun and moon are the level of daylight that you want the light to come on at, point it to the sun and it will operate all day, point it to the moon and it will only operate in the pitch black, probably 3/4 of the way round is about right. The best bet is to turn the time right down, set the dial to the moon and see if it goes out after a minute or so. If it does it should stay off until its dark.
    Im guessing that the dial with the bulb on it is the hi-lo sensor, this determines the how bright the light comes on when it goes dark(how dark is determined by the sun-moon dial), when the PIR is activated the light will go to full brightness for the length of the timer.
    You could also try reading the instructions.

4. Sean iboy

Sean iboy New Member

I have just fitted my first LAP PIR outside light. Despite being turned to the daylight position, and not having a test mode sticker to remove, It comes on as I step over the door threshold in broad daylight. Suggestions please?

5. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

If it is set to daylight then it will come on, you need to turn down the lux ln the light to night-time mind you LAP is not known for its quality

6. Sean iboy

Sean iboy New Member

Aggh my typing, meant to night time!

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I don't touch LAP with a pair of surgical tweezers, but for many of these devices you need to turn power off, make any adjustments and then turn them on again. The light will come on for a short period then should work correctly.
    If it still misbehaves then its a return to the seller (they will be used to this!)

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

LAP is carp, stay away from them!

9. Sean iboy

Sean iboy New Member

Thanks Bazza, second time turned off and on is now okay, will see how it gets on over winter. Thanks for the LAP heads up, I also bought and fitted a floodlight which is working well.

10. Sean iboy

Sean iboy New Member

I get the point Hans, thanks. Something fishy about them, deffo.

11. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

Defo would not perch another