Seems expensive !

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by yorkricho, Oct 27, 2009.

1. yorkricho

yorkricho New Member

Just had my local woodyard/machinist shop give me a quote for a 1400x2090 softwood door frame, it was having a 33 inch door with a side light on each side which would only be 200mm wide approx the total out of softwood was £545 + vat, thats just the frame (no glass or door) which seems a lot when you see hardwood door frames at wickes for £50 ?
    I was thinking of having a go myself ? I have a perfect door frame fitted at the moment, but it has only one side light on one side and I wanted it central, was thinking of buying a wickes frame and remodling it and using my old frame. Or even buying two frames and making one good one out of it ? I have router table etc. Where or can you buy of the shelf frame parts, cills etc thanks

2. lamps

lamps New Member

why dont you make it yourself then. you have a router and table ok
    easy way buy 1 hardwood cill and 2 wickes frames take apart.
    can you guess the rest

3. yorkricho

yorkricho New Member

Where can I buy a hardwood cill at 1400mm thanks

4. evo nut

evo nut New Member

a timber merchant,

Travis Perkins!

5. yorkricho

yorkricho New Member

i meant online, but will ring them for a price.
    Do you think its pointless trying to use the frame thats in at the moment ? I could remove the two legs of the old frame and the side panel . Which would leave the cill, head and both sides still fixed, then buy a Wickes frame and use the two legs from the Wickes frame as new legs on my old frame ( after routing a rebate on one side for the glass) Could this be done without removing all the old frame?
    thanks

6. yorkricho

yorkricho New Member

Seems the best/ easiest option is to buy a flat pack 1400mm wide hardwood frame and also a "33inch door" hardwood frame and use the legs from the "33 inch door" frame on the 1400mm frame, "would mean putting a rebate on back of the frame legs for the glass. priced it at £130 delivered..

7. lamps

lamps New Member

i give up you know already

8. Reggie-123

Reggie-123 New Member

What a pranny!!!