Selecting a car or car derived van to tow a caravan?

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by MGW, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Try saying sissy spacek with a lisp

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I can't say barracuda either :)

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Walking around garage after garage looking at around £20,000 we found a Kia Sorento 2006 for under £5000 and you can buy a lot of fuel for £15,000, it will pull 3000 kg, has all wheel drive, it will do the job I want. I was not what I was originally looking at, but the newer models have such small engines. And this came with tow bar and electrics all ready to role.

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Well I have a problem, it feels as if driving on a concrete road with regular small bumps, but not that type of road, I assume some thing to do with the transmission. I found some info on 4 wheel drive system, and it seems it needs a computer link up to work out what is going on. So should go in Monday, but question is if the garage has the software to be able to work out what is going on.

I had never expected a chain drive, nor to find the low ratio is done with epicyclic gears. Just hope it can be fixed in time. Due to use caravan on Wednesday.

5. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

It was fixed in time, they changed tyres, first they removed the ABS fuse, asked to test run to see if it had cured what I was complaining about, it did, so fuse replaced, all wheels removed, and the rolling circumference measured, then matched, and refitted, all now OK.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did it cost you anything?

7. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

No, they were very good. I was worried about nothing it seems. Have repaired and driven 4 x 4 since I was 14 years old, but these new cars are something else.