Self-Leveling compound cracked

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by drummersteve, Aug 23, 2020.

1. drummersteve

drummersteve New Member

Hi all,

I will immediately admit that I am no builder. I am in the process of planning a new studio, of which I (hope) to do most of the work myself, although if it goes anything like this first ever pour, maybe I'll reconsider!

A very brief explanation of what I'm trying to do. I have an opening in a wall which leads from one room to another. I have designed a special door to go in this space which is acoustically-minded i.e. a heavy door with seals. The section where the door will go (roughly 158mm deep by 1045mm wide) used to be porcelain tiles. I have removed the tiles just from this section, with the intention of poring a rectangular section of concrete, to then build the door on top of (the frame, threshold etc). Reason for removing the tiles is that eventually, I will be replacing the entire floor of the 'studio' with wooden floor, just not yet. As I am installing the door first, I wanted to be installing it on a new, solid base.

You can see from the photos attached the area where I removed the tile (its very rough but it doesn't matter as all the dark tiles will go soon). You can then see the dam I built from wood. You can then see the concrete pour. and then you can see the resulting cracked concrete.

Section to add concrete:
    IMG_3806.jpg

Tiles removed (note roughness of floor underneath):
    IMG_7317.JPG

Concrete poured:
    IMG_3110.JPG

Next morning cracks:
    IMG_1422.JPG

I explained the situation to the worker in the DIY store, and they recommended me this product (I'm based in Ecuador so its a product not available here). a few things you may ask me first:

1. the original surface wasn't even/level. I chiseled away the previous tile cement, so it's kind of rough in that respect (grooves/bumps etc).

2. I didn't not prime this surface with anything, although having removed the tile cement, it revealed the concrete slab underneath.

3. The depth of the concrete pour itself was between 15-20mm

4. You can probably see a small hole in the middle before I poured the concrete. I did seal/bung this up with a pre-mixed instant mortar, before pouring the concrete.

5. When tapping the area of cracks with a hammer, to the right where there is one crack, it sounds solid. However to the left where there are two cracks, it sounds hollow (bad news Im guessing).

6. I have never done this before, as you probably guessed.

As you can also see, the pour goes right up to the edge of the lighter tiles which I intend on keeping (although some have cracked but they will be covered by the door threshold sweep). What should I do to resolve, and what do people believe the cause of this problem to have been, so I know how to do it right the second time?

Practice makes perfect, and as my Grandad always said... experience is the best teacher, but the school fees are high. Wise words.

Thank you in advance for any advice/suggestions. I realise getting somebody who knows would be the best, but the pandemic situation really doesn't allow for that to happen right now.

In case you're interested, the design of the door to go on top:
    Door Design mk1 small.jpeg

Studio with vocal room extension DOOR.jpg