Self levelling compound for garage floor conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by ChrisCC90, Jan 31, 2021.

1. ChrisCC90

ChrisCC90 New Member

Morning,

Im currently at the early stages if a garage renovation and have a bit of an unknown i could use some advice on.

my garage floor (external to house) is concrete but isnt level and has some uneven areas.

ive read using latex based self levelling compound can only be used in internal areas with low-medium traffic, im turning my garage into an office space so it wont be heavy traffic but am concerned by the internal only remark, i will be laminating eventually. My question would be the best approach to levelling the floor, what solution would work best or would the latex based self level compound work in this instance?

im open to suggestions and after a bit if guidance, fairly handy and will do most the reno myself, so i am open to doing this myself also although would appreciate guidance on if this realistically should be undertaken by a non-tradesman.

Thanks

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Levelling compound will be fine in there, but unfortunately it's really not as easy as they make it out to be!

I tried to do it for the first time a couple of years ago and it was a nightmare. It came out smooth and there weren't any small imperfections, but putting a long spirit level on it revealed it to be far from level.

3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

You can source hard wearing self levellers, suitable for heavy foot traffic. Although the word "leveller" is in there, it's a bit of a misnomer as it's more apt for flattening a surface of dips and bumps rather than building up an inch or two.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Garage floor should run down hill anyway. Made like that..

You need drill mix and follow guide and notch trowel to spread... Needs to be notched. Pour and go for it. Dose level on its own in an odd sort or way but good enough. I'm no expert at it but done a few times and nothing to it really unless you mix wrong. I've not gone right to edge and just got it down..

Big flex tub holding handles together to pour. Work your way back. Takes a few minutes to level itself...
    Follow guide if it says seal old floor
    Follow guide for powder to water ratio
    Don't over think it