Self levelling compound on new concrete floor - advice please

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by rog1664, Jun 27, 2008.

1. rog1664

rog1664 New Member

Guys

I'm fitting a new kitchen on a floor is down to dirt(very dry and dusty), about 60mm below my final level. My plan is...

- lay a 40mm concrete layer straight on the dirt
    - lay a polythene sheet (membrane)
    - lay a 15mm mortar layer over the membrane
    - prime the mortar layer
    - lay a water based levelling compound for the final 5mm
    - fit the kitchen units directly on the final level
    - tile up to the units

Does this sound like a good plan? Was not sure if water based levelling compound was suitably hard for laying kitchen units on top?

And how long would you leave the concrete and mortar layers to dry before laying the next layer?

Thanks.

2. strappy

strappy New Member

Guys

I'm fitting a new kitchen on a floor is down to
    dirt(very dry and dusty), about 60mm below my final
    level. My plan is...

- lay a 40mm concrete layer straight on the dirt
    - lay a polythene sheet (membrane)
    - lay a 15mm mortar layer over the membrane
    - prime the mortar layer
    - lay a water based levelling compound for the final
    5mm
    Hi,I'm no expert but if I were doing this I would dig down to allow 100mm of compacted hardcore,blind with sand to fill small gaps,then lay dpm,then 100mm of concrete,then 50mm of screed,as I say I'm no expert and you might be able to get away with less but you can't do it how you say.When I tiled my Kitchen floor I went right up to the walls,I'm planning on replacing my units for freestanding ones so I'm glad I paid out for the extra tiles
    - fit the kitchen units directly on the final level
    - tile up to the units

Does this sound like a good plan? Was not sure if
    water based levelling compound was suitably hard for
    laying kitchen units on top?

And how long would you leave the concrete and mortar
    layers to dry before laying the next layer?

Thanks.

3. strappy

strappy New Member

oops,cocked that up
    Hi,I'm no expert but if I were doing this I would dig down to allow 100mm of compacted hardcore,blind with sand to fill small gaps,then dpm,then 100mm of concrete,then 50mm of screed,as I say I'm no expert and you might be able to get away with less but you can't do it how you say.When I tiled my Kitchen floor I went right up to the walls,I'm planning on replacing my units for freestanding ones so I'm glad I paid out for the extra tiles

4. enjay

enjay New Member

Rog,
    The floor you are proposing would last five minutes, Strappy has given good advice, so, only to repeat; Dig out to allow 250mm to finished floor level, lay 100mm hardcore (type 1) compact well, blind with sand, next lay 1000 gauge DPM, 100mm concrete, 50mm screed. Provided your screed is layed correctly there is no need for self levelling. You will need to allow 5 - 6 weeks drying time beore tiling, or use 'Bal Greenscreed' adhesive, in which case you can tile after a couple of weeks. Best of luck.

5. rog1664

rog1664 New Member

Thanks guys, appreciate the replies and points taken.

I've taken your advice and taken the floor down another 100mm and found what feels like a compacted hardcore base. It looks like the dirt/sand was layed over this to lay the original bricks on. So I now have about 150mm to play with below the final floor line.

Following your suggestions, I plan to lay my dpm on the existing hardcore base, then 100mm concrete, then the final 50mm screed. And then go on holiday and forget about it.

If any of this doesn't sound right, please let me know before I order a cubic metre of concrete!

Thanks again.

6. strappy

strappy New Member

Hi Rog,sounds spot on,so many of these jobs seem a right pain in the a-se to do them properly but it is worthwhile in the end,time and time again we all hear about jobs having to be redone because the prep wasn't done properly and it just isn't worth taking the risk,I know what I'm on about(about the jobs being a pain in the a-se)because for the last 7.5 Years I've been doing my house,it brings me close to tears out of frustration sometimes and I wonder why the **** I bothered but when that passes I look forward to how nice it's going to be when I've finished it,have a good holiday.

7. supachip

supachip New Member

Before you lay you DPC plastic over hardcore . Get some building sand and bind over hardcore . Doesnt have to be mega thick just enought to protect plastic from hardcore .Because once you start to walk on it it will posibly get damaged by the brick /rubble below.

8. rog1664

rog1664 New Member

Thanks - will do.