Self levelling compound

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dmoblay, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Dmoblay

Dmoblay New Member

I need to pour a thin screed onto a concrete floor. I'd like it to be as level as possible so intending to use self levelling compound.

I used it recently in a small room for the 1st time and it went ok but I struggled to control the thickness across the room.

It didn't matter in the last room but when I pour it in the kitchen I need to make it as thin as possible. How can I ensure I am pouring consistently to 5mm?

Also - i used a plasterers float last time but this is a much bigger area and so on the videos i've watched the seem to use a squeegee. Is this recommended? If so do SF sell one?

Thanks

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually use spike roller & a bullfloat for large areas.

Can hire a bullfloat.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I had the same dilemma once and ended up getting it done. I think I paid about £100 + materials for a room of about 5m x 4m ... but that was about 10 years ago. The result was far better than I could ever have done, and laying the tiles went much faster because of how level and regular the base was. I'd do the same thing again.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I use a grout trowel to spread. The gaps in trowel let the material through as you move it about and if thin enough it levels out. Nothing much to it.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get a few plastic window packers, and break them into smaller pieces, then use these as indicators for your finished floor level. Just go around sticking them to the floor with silicon, then with a long level, or laser, set the next one. One you hit the top or just over with your pour, you're done. Tile trowel or spiked roller as mentioned is the way to go. Don't use rapid set SLC.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. jim mcmahon

jim mcmahon New Member