Selling off part of garden?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Albionman, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Albionman

Albionman New Member

How easy/costly is it to sell off part of your garden to an adjoining neighbour? Any pitfalls to consider?
    And what would be the (approx) going rate for an area say 20 sq metres in a working class area of West Yorkshire?

2. wgr

wgr New Member

i know somebody who did that not sure of the exact size but they bought it for 12'000 was about 20-25m2

3. iprwolf

iprwolf Member

Ask an estate agent, just pretend you might be concidering buying !!!!!

4. Stoday

Stoday New Member

There's no such thing as a going rate in the circumstances.

You should have a sum in mind that compensates you for the loss of land and amenity; your neighbour for the advantage of acquiring the land.

If your neighbour is prepared to give more than you want, then the price will be a result of negotiation between you. On the other hand there's no sale.

I have just concluded the purchase of a strip of land from my neighbour. I've never worked out the area; that was not relevant to the price.

5. Stoday

Stoday New Member

You can get an idea of the going rate by checking the recent sale prices of houses in your neighbourhood. Use a part postcode to increase the area.
    http://www.ourproperty.co.uk/

6. dewaltdisney

dewaltdisney New Member

Hi Albionman,

Firstly work out if there is anyway that he can utilise this bit of ground you propose selling to him for development. If it is landlocked area and that is not possible then think about the affects of having someone overlooking the bottom of your garden and possible nuisance from kids etc. Remember that he might sell and you could get a*****s in.

I would check with an estate agent to see how much the acquisition of this land would add to the value of his house and how much it would reduce yours losing the land. That is the price base.

Quite frankly the money involved would probably not be that much and I guess it all depends on how desperate you might be for a few grand.

Hope this helps,

DWD

7. Albionman

Albionman New Member

Thanks for the replies - food for thought indeed.

8. HAMMERBOY

HAMMERBOY New Member

The answer is " what you can get for it ".

My cousin has bought about a third of both his neighbours' gardens, so in all he's bought about 140sq mtrs.

He paid one neighbour £4k and the other £6k.

They are both still left with pretty large gardens and the bits he bought were overgrown and not used for much.

9. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi Albionman.

I hope you noted DWD's post! If your neighbour can make use of this extra land to make a plot large enough to build on, it's value is hugely increased.

Apart from the value, you simply might not want another building placed right next to your garden.

It is possible to sell land with restrictions built in to the contract such as no building without original owner's permission, but this obviously needs careful consideration and the use of a solicitor!