Sending heat upstairs from wood stove

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by Chriz1, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

Has anyone diy'd a method of sending the log burners heat upstairs? My burner heats downstairs fast and some heat does make its way up the stairs.
    I was thinking of fitted a floor regulator somewhere anyone done similar ?

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I have a very effective gas fire which uses two cetrifugal fans to draw ambient air from the lounge over the fire box and then through one 150 mm pipe pumps it back into the lounge and the other into the dressing room and bedroom above. You could do somethig similar - have an inlet near te fire and outlet on te landing with an approriate fan - and CO alarms.

Heat likes this.
  3. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Have to be really careful with this because if you install a fan or fans to pump the air the fans will create a vacuum however small in the room with the woodburner and there is a real risk of smoke/fumes being drawn back into the room from the burner chimney. I've thought about this for our woodburner and as hot air rises naturally think I'll install a discreet vent in the ceiling and effectively pipe the air through the joist void to the room above. Downsides are dust and noise in both directions but it will be interesting to see how much warm air reaches the room above.

Heat likes this.
  4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

True, and why I mentioned CO alarms. It works well in MY sitiution and though it would give the OP something to think around.

ramseyman likes this.
  5. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Air conditioning installed in house would put the heat throughout.
    Ideally we would need a house designed around a wood burner, with it centred in the home and no ceiling above that open area.

6. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

In our last house, a 3 bed detached built in 1939, we had a Little Wenlock in the dining room. With the dining room door open the heat found its own way upstairs.

7. Chriz1

Chriz1 Member

I think I may try this option first and see how well it heats

8. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Heat recovery units can move heat around, however in the houses I have lived in, more down to taking heat from upper floors and moving it back down.

9. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

What about the old fashioned, but proven method of passing the stove pipe through to the upstairs and splitting it into two or three vertical runs before joining it again for it's final exit. My mate has that set up, it's a very old way to get greater heat output from a stove.