Servowarm Supreme cutting out

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by karenblakeman, Dec 14, 2012.

1. karenblakeman

karenblakeman New Member

We have an old Servowarm Supreme boiler (installed 1992). It is cutting out after about 2 minutes and the pilot light goes out. We can re-light the pilot light and it starts up but then cuts out again with a click. It's been suggested it's the thermocouple. We're thinking of installing a new system but that's going to require some major work given the weird and wonderful setup of the current system so we need to keep it going for a little while longer.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be if it's not the thermocouple?

Thanks

2. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

karen you need to start somewhere and the thermocouple is as good a place as any on that boiler, its also low cost compared to some other possibilities so definatley worth trying that, it could be a myriad of things so there's no good us guessing here until we have more info, but try the TC first

3. karenblakeman

karenblakeman New Member

Many thanks. We'll start hunting for a registered engineer to come and look at it. If it is that it gives us some idea of costs other than call out charges.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

that boiler also has a overheat stat that interupts the t/couple, you won't get that overheat stat now, but its a cast iron boiler so by-passing it can't do any harm, your biggest problem is opening the rad, if its not been serviced it will have seized on the hinges and when you open it, it might leak, it might even break at the hinge and then you're in trouble,

5. karenblakeman

karenblakeman New Member

It has been serviced, Tom, but the last time was about 15 months ago. The chap who used to look after it for us has retired and moved away from the area so we're starting the hunt for somone else this morning. Thanks for the additional information.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I wish you good luck Karen but, servowarm closed down many moons ago and spares and engineers are rarer than hens teeth, I live in wigan BTW so If you're within my area I can help,

7. karenblakeman

karenblakeman New Member

Thanks, Tom but we're in Reading. Found an engineer locally who's worked on these old systems and came recommended by friends. Thermocouple replaced, jets cleaned and spiders plus their webs evicted. The new thermocouple solved the cutting out but he was concerned about the behaviour of the pilot light. CO levels were up but not dangerous. They're now back down to accpetable levels after the arachnid eviction. So far everything seems to be working fine again but we're planning and budgeting for a completely new installation.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help. Much appreciated.

8. veekay

veekay New Member

can you pls karen or anyone else tell me where i can buy the thermocouple for this servowarm boiler

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

"that boiler also has a overheat stat that interupts the t/couple, you won't get that overheat stat now, but its a cast iron boiler so by-passing it can't do any harm"

Umm - don't think so. If that stat is by-passed that makes the boiler AR at best and possibly ID.
    Don't do that.

I got one from Powered Heating (nothing to do with me) about 6 months ago.