Setting concrete fence posts

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by DIYDave., Mar 5, 2014.

1. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

DIYDave hasn't commented on the scrambled eggs, shame as apparently cooking is his expertise, could of learned a thing or three!

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

3. facilities

facilities Guest

Think he is keeping his head down as one or three people seem to have taken a fence (offence) at his thread.:)

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

4 year old post though, perhaps the Ruby Murrey upset him.

5. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

The one person who should really absorb these words ironically is the author of them.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

But he is a self confessed arrogant fencer :p:p:p

goldenboy likes this.
  7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Of course the Romans had slump tests. They’d line slaves up against the edge of the shuttering, hit em on the head and the slaves would slump over into the concrete.

goldenboy likes this.
  8. Mike Green

Mike Green New Member

Been there, done that.

Attached Files:

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's like Hudson has come back to play.

10. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Is that the chap who was obsessed with Bosch gear?

11. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

At the price I assume, (gamble I know!), that this is a really good hammer;
    https://www.milwaukeepowertools.co.uk/milwaukee-4932352579

However, If I just needed to whack in a few nails I'd get one of theses;
    https://birco.co.uk/products/silver...MI0_Cqn6ez2gIVzbXtCh2kxgHvEAQYAyABEgLzkfD_BwE

It's the same with concrete, (and most other things)... sometimes cheapest, and poorest, is simply good enough for the task in hand!

I think that has been forgotten somewhere along the way here a little.

I'll get me coat!

Regards,
    Cando

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Yes

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Boasted about his work and his tools and then posted pictures of other peoples work and claimed them as his own. Got ran out of town.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Has Mike Green posted the name of his company?

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I think I was involved in tracking down his taking credit for others work.

Though I may be mistaken.

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think you were, I actually got banned for "Trolling him" and then everything I had said became the truth, a bit like the u/s posts are/will become. The truth will out.

wiggy likes this.
  17. fillyboy

fillyboy Screwfix Select

I agree.

18. TRC

TRC New Member

Hey all, excuse me for resurrecting an old thread, but found this via a search for setting times and wish I'd read it earlier.

Here's my situ: complete layman here, just installed a single post. Have never mixed concrete before. It's not to support a fence, but one end of a hammock - so will be load bearing sideways in one direction from a hook near the top. (To complete the picture, other end is on an expanding rawlbolt hook into a brick wall.)
    Thing is, the hammock itself can take the weight of up to five adults, so wanted my post to be strong enough.

Hammock importer's website advised "4x4, three feet into the ground", so that's what I've done. All my reading before today seemed to suggest a 1:2:4 mix, with just enough water to bring it together. If I pushed it together between two spades, it would sort of support itself sandcastle-style, but break back down with a bit of a nudge. Laid this mix in the hole round the post, tamping it down firmly every few inches. (Hole is approx 12" square and three foot deep, which was fun in heavy clay soil with no special tools.)

So, original question still remains - how long before I can trust my post to hold my hammock with lots of weight in?

(I trust the hammock - had it up between trees many a time on campsites and my family relax in it reading etc. It's the concrete I have no idea about!)

19. ajohn

ajohn Screwfix Select

Not read all of the posts but personally I would buy one of these - ;) from some where else as a lot cheaper

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughnec...VCbTtCh1uwQIcEAQYAiABEgKGtPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hardly any soil disturbance. Once the hole as been started use the weight of them and force to take out the next bit - sort of throw it down the hole. A trowel may be needed to remove large stones. I bought one after seeing a council worker using one.

If a new fence and someone doesn't want to do it again see if they can find someone that will make tanalised panels. They usually use feather edged. No problem with the usual tall fences but when we had ours done which is about 1.2m on gravel boards there wasn't a top trim available. Over 25 years now. Last year I needed a nail gun to drive some brads in without breaking it as a few had rotted away.

We have another tall one next to the house. That was there when we moved in so no idea how long it's been up. Well over 30years. That is nailed together, No problems at all. Thumps from the other side have loosened a couple of nails but nothing to worry about. Kid playing football etc.

I didn't diy ours. The guy that did mentioned that they cause trouble some times. People think they are rotten as they go a sort of silver grey over a number of years. I bought some stuff off him a few years after it was done and he wanted to send some one along to remove and treat all of them so that they would remain more like a colour people expect. When I asked him about doing the job he mentioned that a lot of fencers wont fit them - pretty obvious reason. :) They last too long.

Our neighbour also had a run of tanalised. Just needed treating to change the colour. He replaced it. Silly man but as some one made up new panel using wood from pallets it will be a while before it needs replacing. Looks a mess from our side so we have hedged it. He also moved the fence of the boundary line as an excuse for putting the horizontal timber on our side. That sort of bloke so didn't mention what he could have done with the old one. He could have used gravel board and panels as it's a low fence and that would have looked fine from both sides.

Another house near by used Larch Lap. The real thing. They didn't need replacing very often. I only saw him change 2. New owners have replaced some with similar but not actual Larch Lap. He's trying to make them last with creosote and not having much luck really. Many of the Larch Lap from the previous owner are still around. 15 years maybe since any of the original ones were replaced. Look alikes maybe a couple of years.

John
    -