Setting for impact driver?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by potterspury, Apr 16, 2023.

1. potterspury

potterspury Member

Just started using impact driver more , previously just used combi drill. Is it just for screws? I've put setting on 2 (three settings). Any technique over combi drill for using it? 20230402_133024.jpg 20230402_133031.jpg

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Impact drivers are generally a lot more powerful than a drill driver, the setting is likely to adjust the power. Need to be careful if using it to drill screws into thin or delicate materials.
    They are used for screws. Drill driver is more forgiving.

3. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 Screwfix Select

Are those drywall screws being used for flooring?

Ignoring that for a second....For small stuff screws like that, setting 1 might be best- its possible with the dewalt that setting 1 may have a drive to stop feature for thin materials/smaller fixings, but im not familiar with that particular model.

4. big all

big all Screwfix Select

887 is fully electronic no gearbox
    anything less than 2 inch 1 is perfect it basically throttles back the power/speed and cuts out at a predetermined load
    you can use 2 and 3 but needs you to judge and have decent reactions to stop you overdoing it

Abbadon2001 and potterspury like this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

my impact driver doesn’t have different settings so control comes by feathering the trigger, which you get used to over time. Yours is a bit more sophisticated as mentioned in the other replies

malkie129 likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve got the same drill - or pretty much the same as there’s so many similar models out there with very similar specs

As above, 1-3 settings that increase the torque - same as the combi drills with the 1-12 torque settings (or more)

Tend to keep mine on 2, plenty enough power for 40-70mm screws and don’t often use anything longer than that that may require setting 3

These impact drivers are fantastic if your driving in screws all day long, the compact size of drill and power it offers is fantastic

Although most odd diy jobs around the house, I just use my dewalt 18v combi which will drill into anything I’ve found and drive in screws easily to all materials

Only tend to use the impact if I’ve got the need for 2 drills on the go for a larger job and use the combi for drilling and the impact for driving in screws

For small screws, say 15/20mm just find the impact has too much power, even set on 1 and as said above, it’s too easy to drive the screw too deep into the timber unless you throttle off the trigger pronto like

A good tool to have nevertheless and models like this dewalt, won’t break the bank

Abbadon2001 likes this.
  7. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

And using a Pozi bit for Philips heads ...

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Also,,,,,,, realise at a tangent from the OP but........

No good fixing boards down with just 1 screw through centre line of each board / joist position
    Conscientious plumbers and electricians will run their services at this centre line position with the knowledge that floorboards are 'always' secured at both outer edges, leaving the centre of the board a fairly safe assumption that screws wont be driven through at this point with the chance of hitting pipes / cables below. I assume that you've had these boards up
    and are confident that no servives have been run at these screw positions

And, just 1 screw across width of board isn't enough for a secure fix to joist and increases the risk of the boards cupping (plus those PB screws snapping when driving them in tight)

Apart from all the above - enjoy your impact driver :)

Rosso and potterspury like this.