Setting out - 20mm gap at ceiling

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by JonH, Aug 1, 2018.

1. JonH

JonH New Member

Greetings all, new here...looks like a good forum

Setting out tiles above the bath.
    Tiles are Wickes Amaro porcelain 308 by 615 (Except in real life they're 305 by 610)
    Bath to ceiling is 1865mm and I just laid out 6 tile with 3mm spacers and it ended up as 1840mm

Even with a generous 5mm silicon gap at the bath I'm still left with 20mm at the ceiling.

Advice please...do I grout it? Do I fill it and paint white?
    Or do I bite the bullet and cut half a tile at top and bottom?
    Is 20mm too much to hide?

Thanks!

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Is it just around the bath you're tiling, or the whole bathroom?

5mm is too big a gap for silicon and 20mm too large at top to grout/fill and for it to not look like **** IMO :)

3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

Don't attempt vertical symmetry with tiles above a bath.
    If you're only tiling above the bath (and not trying to tie the above-bath tiles in with other tiles that start at the floor level) then use a full tile at the bath and just tile up to the top, cutting the highest tile to whatever size it needs to be. 20mm tile won't look bad at all ... it'll just look like a fully tiled wall.

4. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

I have been in this situation in the past.

Best to check distance at various points as the ceiling may not be level.

DIY womble likes this.
  5. Allsorts

Allsorts Active Member

Tiles are going landscape format, then? Cutting a 20mm tile 'slice' will require a 'cutter' not a scorer/snapper.

I always use the correct terms.

This can be done with just an angle grinder if you don't have the correct tool - clamp a batten along the tile to guide you. Any rough slightly-chipped edge can be 'guised with a small bead of decorator's along the top.

Or, why not consider lightweight coving in your bathroom - dead easy to fit and really adds a another level of oomph. (no tile cutting required...)

Attached Files:

6. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Set them out to even the gap out top and bottom.

Having a 20mm gap, then cutting a tile to fit that with a grout line will leave you with an approx 15mm tile rip which will look amateurish to say the least, especially with large format tiles, or any other tile for that matter.

BTW DA, a good snap cutter can cut a rip to about 12mm in width :)

7. JonH

JonH New Member

Thanks for all your replies, I'm only setting around the bath and yes the 600x300 will be in landscape. Ceilings and walls all square and level cos I spent ages on that bit.
    OK, less than 5mm for the silicone - thanks.
    Not up for the coving but thanks for the suggestion....I feel I'd have to do the whole house then!
    I'm not sure about the vertical symmetry comment but so far I'm with biting the bullet (only cos it's a bit more work) and setting them out to even the tiles so would end up with approx half a tile top and half a tile bottom (but not necessarily the same but at least aim for no less than a third tile at the top and prob 2/3 at bottom. I have a cutter and just bought a new wheel so can cut to any size but it's just trying to avoid the little thin strip.

seen it all before and CGN like this.