Setting out patterned hallway

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Herbs, Nov 11, 2020.

1. Herbs

Herbs Active Member

Would appreciate views on setting out this hallway as to which looks better.

Unfortunately using the centre line gives a horrible 25mm cut in the door thresholds, so option A is off-centre slightly, leaving a larger cut on the left hand side.

Option B has a tile straddling the centre line, leaving equal cuts but off-setting the bold pattern.

Opinions?

Attached Files:

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

B.

Herbs likes this.
  3. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

B. It will look better, in my humble opinion, to have the pattern centred down the whole length of the hall rather than at the entrance. Having said that, a photo facing the other way with the tiles laid out as in B would be useful.

Herbs likes this.
  4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’m not sure that such a ‘bold’ patter actually works in that hallway to be honest

As each set of 4 tiles makes up the main pattern, however they’re laid, you’ve got cuts with part pattern at each side and doorways

Ok, this will happen wherever they’re laid but in an average sized room, not as noticeable as there will be more complete patterns across the main area of floor, plus more than likely, some furniture at room edges

In a hallway though like here, personally I just think they’re the wrong tiles for the setting - just my opinion though :)

rogerk101 likes this.
  5. Herbs

Herbs Active Member

Cheers Dave, and whilst I might agree, the customer (in this case my darling lady) is unlikely to accept such reasonings at this stage... the wonder of hindsight, hey!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

yep, your in a difficult situation for sure with this particular ‘customer’ !!

I really like the tiles, really do
    Just in this typical hallway setting, just doesn’t do them justice as the pattern is way too large and noticeable

But,,,,,,, best just get them laid eh mate :)....... or grow a pair :eek:

7. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

B - it’s easier on the eye with the pattern centred on the narrower part of the hall

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Ask SWMBO and get the decision in writing.

9. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

I agree with DIYDave. It's far too busy for a narrow passageway and makes the space feel cluttered even with nothing in it.
    I'm sure you've bought the tiles and can't take them back, so it'll have to be B ... if it has to be!