Settlement crack?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kopseng, May 31, 2022.

1. Kopseng

Kopseng New Member

Evening all,

I have previously knocked off some old lime plaster adjacent to my chimney and there is some sort of settlement crack in the wall. I was going to get a plasterer to strap and render with cement before skimming... But I was considering just dot and dabbing over it with board, as its a nightmare getting anybody who isn't bogged down with work. Does anybody have any advice what if anything needs doing if I was to plasterboard over it? Attached is a photo. Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

What else in the way of brickwork is in the vicinity?

3. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

It may be just me, but I think I can see a distinct colour difference in the bricks either side of the crack. Is it possible an old window or similar opening has been bricked up in the past and the bricks toothed in? If this is the case, there is less cause for concern.
    Looking at the limited information available from the single photo, it looks like the bond differs too which suggests the left side was added at a later date than the right side.(or vice versa)

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  4. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Yes. This is not an "as built in one go" thing, as above. Something Has Been Done.

5. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

Yeah.. maybe a long time ago with a bit of extra pointing repair at a later date?

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

AOL, as we used to say or "Me too, I agree!".

7. Kopseng

Kopseng New Member

I'm pretty sure it's the first time it's seen the light of day since the house was built 100+years ago... The plaster wasn't cracked but because it was so old I took it down. The very original stuff. I've attached another pic... To the left is a chimney breast and to the right is the front wall. The mortar is all old lime besides 1 splodge I'd thrown in when I had some to use up. Think I'm just gonna get some crack stitches and resin and fire them in... Unless anybody has other ideas? It's probably been there for decades

Attached Files:

8. Hausfix

Hausfix Screwfix Select

My gut feeling is that there isn’t enough length of wall either side of the crack for a helical bar and resin crack stitching kit to be effective.. Can’t guarantee this is correct, but may be worth checking out before spending out..
    If the plaster wasn’t cracked, I don’t think you need to take any remedial action tbh.

9. Kopseng

Kopseng New Member

The whole width of the thing is about 90, so would only get about 400mm either side of the crack at best. Better than nothing though I guess...

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

There was no crack in the render you removed you say so the chances of any recent movement is remote and as others have said there has been work done there at some point in time: wartime bomb damage perhaps?

I would personally Helibar it for what they cost, but another option would be expamet across the whole area.

11. Kopseng

Kopseng New Member

I really don't think it's been repaired.. All the walls look similar with messy mortar and odd bricks etc. Like the internal walls are just thrown together. I've ordered some helibars... Do you have any advice on what to bed in the bars with? Is this stuff OK? https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug...rZoI7lHTq9ho91BNyDIaAoJxEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

12. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

That should be fine. Make sure you clean the dust out of your slot,

Kopseng likes this.