Settlement or poor workmanship?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Offshore, Jan 21, 2016.

1. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

I've lived in a new build house since last April. We have noticed a few signs of settlement - small cracks along the coving and around door frames etc. I am not particularly worried about these as I am confident they can be addressed the next time we decorate. However, a few of the cracks are appearing around the joins in the plasterboard and the jointing tape has started to come adrift, in some cases this has happened along the entire length of the join. We have also noticed a few cracked blocks on the outside of the house. The blocks used are breeze blocks but finished with a honey coloured sandstone on the outer face and the cracks are very fine but visible nonetheless. The builder is still on site and I will approach him before my year's warranty (1 year builder warranty, 10 year NHBC warranty) runs out. My question is,what can I reasonably expect him to repair and what is likely to be written off as acceptable results of settlement?

Thanks for any advice.

2. That does sound excessive - actual p'board joints failing and opening up - that must be considerable movement.

But it may still be within what is 'acceptable' (by them). I dunno.

Any idea if the wall studwork is timber or the more commonly used these days metal?

If timber, then it may have been due to wet materials.

I cannot comment further as I don't know - but I would say to 'approach' the builder in writing as well as verbally. Get your complaints on record - along with photos.

3. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

Thanks for the quick reply. As far as I know it is timber stud work - it's is a timber framed house, not sure if that is more or less liable to settlement? I will take a few photos and make sure everything is recorded. Thanks.