Sewer smell from shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Martin T, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Martin T

Martin T Member

Hi

I renovated my house and the plumber installed a shower with a fast flow waste that runs under the floor.

This is one of three showers with the same waste, yet this one shower let's sewer gas in.

If I take up the chrome cover there is the little plastic cup that holds warer. However this cup and water doest creat any kind of water seal.

Am I missing something? Did the plumber miss something. With the waste being under the floor I can't get to it to look.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

2. gas monkey

gas monkey Well-Known Member

If in stack 3 inch seal needed

3. Martin T

Martin T Member

Thanks v much

So is there any chance you can link me to what I need, do SF have it and can it be done with the shower in situ!

Cheers .

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Thee is normally a drain insert that goes into the plastic cup to form the seal. Was it part of te chrome cover you have removed?

A couple of picture would be useful.

5. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

if all three cups are equipped with seal that's mean you have siphoning problem- shower tray that leads the smell in will be the last one on the system, too long waste pipe and no admittance valve installed :)

6. Martin T

Martin T Member

Thanks all.

So whilst the shower wastes look the same. One has shower waste has a black sealing ring but the other that I am having the smell with doesnt, nor does it look like it should have. I have attached a picture. Maybe it's just a really cheap item and all I need to buy is a replacement chrome part but one that has a rubber seal. What do you think? 20190401_220130.jpg

7. gas monkey

It's only a small trap I put an online 3inch in I had the same works fine

8. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

that's where the rubber oring is located on others? 111.JPG

9. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Looks like a cheap shower trap, the white plastic under the chrome is supposed to push tight in the trap, the 'cup' holds the water to create the trap seal. If it's not sitting correctly then the trap ideally needs replacing with a better quality one. Is this possible? Or will the floor need lifting? If connecting to a soil pipe, shower traps are supposed to have a 50mm water seal. A good plumber should have known this and fitted one in the first place

10. Martin T

Martin T Member

The is no way I can lift the shower tray now. The waste has a very short run and then goes directly into a downpipe outside.

I'm hoping as it's a standard size totr I will be able to get a new Chrome top and white plastic insert with a proper seal.

I will do some searching but can you usually buy just that part out do you need to buy a while new waste part

Thanks

11. Martin T

Martin T Member

Whats an online 3 inch gas monkey? Does the tray need lifting?

Thanks

12. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

Dam0n likes this.
  13. gas monkey

Mr t did you get this from b and q
    An in line trap is in the pipe run to the stack
    If connected to the stack then a 3inch trap is needed
    You can put a trough in to empty in then into the stack and keep the trap you got just renew the rubbers

14. Martin T

Martin T Member

Thanks Eco, Gas abd everyone else.

The trap came with the shower tray. However I thought I bought some different ones and went I to the garage and low and behold I had a new Chrome part and this one has a rubber seal. When I sit this into the waste it feels much more sealed so I am hopeful that this will fix the problem.

Will monitor over the next few days.

Would not have noticed the difference without the help here so thanks again

ecoplumbing likes this.
  15. Martin T

Martin T Member

16. Drew2022

Drew2022 New Member

I know this is an old post but I don't suppose you have a link to this still? The current link doesn't work. I'm having smelly drain issues and noticed there is no seal in the shower trap

17. Martin T

Martin T Member