Shaker cabinets

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Matt Bartlett, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Matt Bartlett

Matt Bartlett New Member

Its my first time making shaker cabinets, I’ve used 18mm MDF, they’re pretty big (980x670mm) I can’t stop the door from sagging on the top right corner(it’s hinges on the left) I can’t alter the cabinet hinges any more. Any tips? The doors are pretty heavy so I’m thinking maybe I need more heavy duty hinges

2. Shytot

Shytot Active Member

More information needed .
    What type of hinge have you used ? How many ? What’s the material you’ve been screwing into ?

3. Matt Bartlett

Matt Bartlett New Member

I’ve used 2 64mm cabinet hinges and I’m fixing to the MDF side of the cabinet

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

As you've found out, an 18mm MDF door at that size is fairly heavy, not sure if you've planted on additional timber on the face to give it that 'shaker' style which would add more weight ? Or used a router on the MDF

I suggest a combination of adding a third hinge and as you suggest, heavier duty hinges

These concealed hinges vary massively in quality and strength and not knowing what you've used, we're in the dark really

Basic, unbranded, concealed hinges like these, are ok (ish), used on millions of kitchens but not particularity well engineered

https://www.screwfix.com/p/nickel-sprung-concealed-screw-on-hinges-35mm-2-pack/28303

Look at Hafele or Blum range of cabinet hinges, they do some 'beefier' ranges that will support your door with ease

5. LEH

LEH Active Member

Peter Millard has just done the exact video you need...

6. Matt Bartlett

Matt Bartlett New Member

Yes I’ve planted 100mm rips on the doors.. Thanks for your advice, these are the hinges I’ve used, will 3 per door be enough would you say? https://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-steel-soft-close-clip-on-concealed-hinges-64mm-2-pack/9205j

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It’s not actually a massive door really, and 18mm MDF is a common material for kitchen doors

3 quality hinges would do the job I’m sure

The ones in your link, are they better quality than the ones you’ve fitted ?