Shared Chimeny Breast

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Paul Edward, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Paul Edward

Paul Edward Member

Hi all,

I am looking to remove the internal chimney breast from my house on the first floor bedroom but leave the external chimney as it's a shared chimney. I believe a lintel or gallows brackets would have to be used. The issue is the neighbour has already done this on their side, so would it matter if gallows brackets or a lintel are used on both sides to secure the chimney?

I know the best thing to do would be to remove all of the chimney, but the current neighbours can't agree to this as the house has been sold. We could ask the new neighbour but this could be some months away, and then there is the extra cost of removing all the chimney.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

The gallows bracket relies in part on the weight of the neighbours chimney breast for support. As their is no longer one you will be left with a 5 tonne chimney stack sticking out above the roofline supported and balanced on the party wall which may only be one brick thick. DO NOT DO THIS ! Wait until you can talk to your new neighbour and reach an agreement about removing the stack and making good the roof. If this is not possible, employ a structural engineer to design a solution.