Shaver socket - both at the same time

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by EssexAndy, Dec 20, 2020.

1. EssexAndy

EssexAndy New Member

I'm trying to find a shaver socket that allows two 'shavers' to be charged at the same time.
    Recently I went to a friend's new build and they had two toothbrushs plugged in and both charging! One on 240 and one in the 120.
    I've tried two from Screwfix but so far they all allow only one side at a time to be used like my original one.

Anyone here know what brand will allow both simultaneously?

2. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Not an comply with British regulations, the whole idea is only one item is powered from the isolation transformer, if you want two items, then you need two units.

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

Presumably they have bust the shutters on the shaver socket by forcing the two plugs in at the same time.

4. Spike_hiker

Spike_hiker Member

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The OP says he wants a Shaver socket, not a toothbrush socket!

But I’m being obtuse. As above, a standard BS EN 61558 sockets is designed to prevent both being used at the same time. I think the transformer isn’t designed to cope with two simultaneous loads. They have an overload cut out if the load exceeds 20VA.

PS the lower output is normally 115V

6. Banallsheds

Banallsheds Well-Known Member

There is no need to charge two at the same time. Charge one first then the other. Since shavers only need charging every couple of weeks or so there is ample time to charge not only two but many more over two weeks.

7. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

But hey, who’s got time to swap ‘em
    over? More convenient to leave them both plugged in, no?

Welcome back bas ;)

8. EssexAndy

EssexAndy New Member

I said 'shavers' as I didn't want to spark the toothbrush safety arguement again
    But I have 2 toothbrush holders and 4 toothbrushes to keep charged and a single socket with no desire to rip out the plaster to go for the wide holder above. So maybe if I just break the plug a bit that will do... They are extremely low load compared to shavers so I'll try that

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Thought he was called Winston1?

oh sorry, wrong forum…

ElecCEng likes this.
  10. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

The transformer in the shaver socket is called an isolation transformer, in theory there is no reason why you can't have two secondary windings, so two independent supplies, however never seen one designed that way. I would guess more down to heat dissipation than anything else. With the shaver socket if a rechargeable shaver is plugged in, some will discolour due to over heating, there was a switch pushed by the plug which switched them on, so the early versions could over heat simply by leaving the plug in the socket, even without the shaver connected to other end of cord.

A new version arrived with the tooth brush symbol on them, these could stand continuous use but since limited to 20 VA they can't power the Water Flosser so in the UK they have to be battery powered. And the whole idea of battery powered is they can be charged away from the bathroom.

So be it a shaver, tooth brush, or water flosser the shaver socket is only for when used direct, if battery powered then recharged away from bathroom, however I know that is a pain, and we are today super lazy and carrying the shaver or tooth brush from bedroom to bathroom we find we don't want to do. There is nothing to stop us having a bank of shaver sockets, however once out of the bathroom no reason why we can't have an extension with many shaver sockets.

I do not like however some of the options, in the UK we use the ring final system, this relies on there being a fuse in the plug, you can buy double 16 amp two pin sockets, [​IMG] however unless you supply from a FCU these could supply 32 amp with a ring final so can be rather dangerous.

11. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

[​IMG]

12. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

;)

Attached Files:

13. Banallsheds

If you leave them on charge 24/7 you will shorten the life of the batteries and waste electricity. How long does it take to swop them?

14. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Those were the prehistoric days of nickel cadmium based rechargeable batteries. Rechargeable batteries and their chargers have moved on quiet a bit through several generations/technologies since then, and neither of those drawbacks still apply.

ElecCEng likes this.
  15. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Bas lives in the past. It seems he has little understanding of how things are done “these days”..

16. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have a large bathrooms in this house and yes could install a shelf and an array of chargers in them without a problem, but could just as easy fit it outside the bathroom, but having an array of tooth brushes on display on the landing is not something my wife would permit. However last house bathroom was small, and the only place one could charge a tooth brush or shaver was not really safe, just too easy to knock the items off and them fall in water.

But even my large bathroom I can't fit a socket outside the 3 meter limit, so has to be special with isolation transformers, personally I don't want other people in the house using my shaver or tooth brush, so being charged in bedroom seems better, but it seems the isolation transformer in bathroom is a British thing, other countries seem to have sockets in the bathroom, even in the UK go to a hair dressers and there is an array of showers and sockets with hair driers plugged in, when is a shower not a shower?

As to being left plugged in, if the device has a indicator saying charging or charged, the little LED which shows red or green for example, then likely no problem leaving on charge 24/7. However if there is nothing to show charging or charged, then likely no control of charge rate, I have many items which still say charge for 8 hours, and even those that don't, had problems with over charging, and it does not matter what type of battery.

17. Banallsheds

So leaving something plugged in 24/7 does not waste electricity. Your dreaming. Modern rechargeable batteries still deteriorate faster if left on charge 24/7. The sort of chargers found on tooth brushes are not that sophisticated.

18. Banallsheds

You are lying again.

19. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

Merry Christmas MFBas

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

No, he’s stating an opinion.