Shaving corners off fireplace/chimney breast recess

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by LeeBee75, Apr 27, 2018.

1. LeeBee75

LeeBee75 New Member

Hi - want to install an old edwardian fireplace upstairs with tile 'cheeks' - however, as the tiled panels incline inwards, many don't fit our recess of 53cm. Would we be able to shave the corner off either side of the opening (I'm finding it'd typically be c.10cm on each side), to accommodate? Thanks.
    (This is a fireplace I'm currently eyeing up online if it helps :) )

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Got a photo of present opening where you want to place it.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  3. LeeBee75

LeeBee75 New Member

Haven't been able to get the surround off yet, so not sure how useful this will be - will get the bolster out later and repost.

Attached Files:

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

From your photos it looks like you'd have almost nothing left of your sides if you took 10cm off each of them. I wouldn't do it.

5. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Thanks, you might find once you remove surround, fireplace opening has been reduced down in size, not unusual, but a bedroom less so.

But, I think you might end up looking for a smaller fire grate to fit opening, will be a lot easier.

LeeBee75 likes this.
  6. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

After reading KIAB's response above, I took a closer look at your photos, and I think you might be OK. (My fireplaces and chimney stacks protrude from the walls, hence my negative response above, but yours are recessed into the walls, so you should have plenty of support to be able to take 10cm off each side. You may find a lintel in there when you remove the marble surrounds, in which case you may need arched corners to keep the lintel supported.

LeeBee75 likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

It very difficult working from a photo, & being 100% right, also that surround pinches some of the width of the opening.
    Once surround is removed, plaster cleared back abit, then we can get a clearer picture.:)

LeeBee75 likes this.
  8. LeeBee75

LeeBee75 New Member

Thanks - pic might be deceptive, the chimney breast's about 140cm wide, opening 53cm. I guess once the surround's off, we'll have a better idea of any brick-up jobs, and lintel size. There are other smaller recess options, but it's quite a big room, so ideally wants a big feature (on a shoestring budget, fun challenge...)[​IMG]