Sheared bolt in spur to fence post

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by SteveMJ, Aug 13, 2018.

1. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Hi again,

I was asking for some help in adjusting a fence post see here https://community.screwfix.com/threads/fence-post-spur-for-garden-gate-post-is-not-vertical.203203/

I have just sheared off the top bolt that goes through the spur into the post.

I can lean the post off a little and get mole-grips on the bolt stump but can't turn it. That is why it sheared originally.

The post is oak, so hard to cut at ground level.

I would appreciate some ideas as to how to fix this?

Clearly I can't put another bolt in until the old stub is removed.

The attached photo is the spur and post before I messed it up.

Thanks, Steve

fence post spur.jpg

2. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Is it a coach bolt and nut or a coach screw from one side?
    If the post is bolted to a spur it shouldn't go far into the ground remove / snap the other bolt off and then give the post some wellie to pull it away

3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

If you're going to adjust the post/lean it away from the spur, would it be possible to saw through and remove the existing bolt and then drive a new screw/bolt down the side of the one that's stuck in the post? Alternatively, now that the bolt is 'loose', can you position the post where you want it and then inject resin around the remains of the bolt in the spur?

4. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I will check this morning as to the amount of stud left protruding in the spur's hole. The bolt's remanent is far from loose though, I think it would be easier if it was.

5. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I have an SDS drill (5Kg) and a selection of bits up to 16mm. Could I drill an extra hole in the spur? I am assuming at the moment that any steel reinforcement is not in line with the holes, but are up the sides.

Thanks again, Steve

6. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

SDS drill easily drilled through the post. I increased in size from 5 mm, then 8 mm and left it at that as I had M8 coach screws.

I am tempted to put and extra in as the depth into the post is now less.

Thanks for the suggestions :) Steve