Shed Base

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by TreeField, May 31, 2022.

1. TreeField

TreeField Member

Hi, getting a new shed which will go on concrete slab and I would like to use bearers. What height should the bearers be? and how many would I need e.g. for a 10ft long x 6ft wide? Thanks

2. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Is there a particular reason for wanting to do it that way?

paj likes this.
  3. TreeField

TreeField Member

Just to lift it off the concrete base, water does pool a bit on it and have seen others you bearers to lengthen life of the shed. Just wondered if there was a standard height / size of timber to use.

4. Mr right first time

Mr right first time Active Member

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I used 4"x4" fence posts, put DPC both under and on top of them, shed on top of that. Careful to lay them in the right direction, perpendicular to the battens supporting the floor.

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

I meant is there a particular reason for having a concrete base! There are alternatives.

7. TreeField

TreeField Member

Thank you. So I presume the shed floorboards will be sat on joists / battens. And the bearers go the opposite direction to the joists.. Is it ok just to lay them in position or do they need securing to the concrete slab?

Am thinking of using 2 x 2 presume that will be ok... surely better than no bearers at all.

Hans_25 likes this.
  8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Should be fine as long as they’re pressure treated.

9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

To be clear of the water you will only need a few millimetres.

Have you considerd getting some composite/receycled plastci decking boards - 20 x 100 approx?

10. TreeField

TreeField Member

Well they seem a great idea - but sorry if this is a stupid question, do I just lay bearers (whether plastic or timber) on the concrete pad or do they have to be secured somehow? And presume I would use shims / packers to level out if necessary...

In terms of height, presumably the 20mm would be the height? Someone provided a link in the thread to some that are 30 x 50. I only considered taller because Ive seen references to 3 x 3 bearers, but I guess all I am trying to do is lift it off the base, so maybe 30 or 20mm would suffice..

11. FlyByNight

Yes, 20mm height. As you say, just trying to raise the shed from the concrete. Use some of the Broadfix shims https://www.screwfix.com/p/broadfix-assorted-plastic-shims-medium-200-pcs/80408#_=p they always come in useful.

I would level them with shims then use an external grad adhesive and then screw the shed to the bearers.

Another possibility I have come across is just use 6 or 10mm shims every 200mm on the shed base joists - a bit fiddly but did what was needed.

12. TreeField

TreeField Member

Thanks though a little confused sorry. Did you mean grab adhesive? And did you mean to stick bearers to the concrete? Not sure how that would work if I need to stick a few packers under the bearers first. How would I screw the bearers to the base once I have had Shed installed?

I was thinking of just laying them in place without securing. If securing them is necessary I could use some adhesive but with no packers, then if packers are needed stick them between shed base and the bearers?

13. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Just lay them in place, shed isn’t going anywhere.

14. FlyByNight

Putting grab adhesive on them stops them moving when you put the shed on top, and holds the packers in place.