Shed Electrics

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by aarrons dad, Apr 23, 2007.

1. aarrons dad

aarrons dad New Member

HI all,
    I want to wore up electricity to my garden shed/workshop. Do I need to bury the cable and if so do i need to use armoured cable? If I do use armoured do I need to put glands on the ends and how do I fit them? I am going to be takeing the feed straight from the main fuse box and will be terminateing into a consumer unit in the shed. I have been told that the cable needs to be buried at least 18 inches down, is this true. Any advice will be greatfully recieved,

2. STGO

STGO New Member

This will need doing properly and certificating mate, best get a qualified sparks to do it.

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

If you can find a spark who will work with you on this project.

99.9% of sparks do not want to dig trenches.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Use to love digging 4in soil runs..trencching wit proper trenching shovel is good exercise..Are you overweight Mr C?

5. X

X New Member

Are you overweight Mr C?

Don't know about Mr C .. but I am

I think the problem started when I stoped diging trenches...

6. Sparkie_Portsmouth

Sparkie_Portsmouth New Member

I once was doing a shed wire for an 86yr old german called Franz Heimer - When I told him I would get on with digging the trench he promptly ran inside put his helmet on and shot me in the **** with his rifle.

Dont mention the war.

tha was the one and only trench I have dug

7. *welsh.wizard*

*welsh.wizard* New Member

I once was doing a shed wire for an 86yr old german called Franz Heimer - When I told him I would get on with digging the trench he promptly ran inside put his helmet on and shot me in the **** with his rifle.

:^O:^O:^O

8. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

Are you overweight Mr C?

I think the problem started when I stoped diging
    trenches...

No, the problem started when you gave up your schooling early, STOPED DIGING!!

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Are you overweight Mr C?

I think the problem started when I stoped diging
    trenches...

Know what you mean X..when I left site work was running 10 1/2 stone..6 /8yrs on now weigh 14 stone..Trouble is when you are over 50 the inclination to dig trenches is not so great..but with say eating 1200 calories a day and a couple of weeks of trenching or hard site work..bet you can get 1 1/2 to 2 stone of easily..

10. *welsh.wizard*

Give me a full fat brekkie to take away please.

Took me years to build up this pot of mine, and there is No HP on it either. :^O

You alright JP.?

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Fine Welsh..you ok mate?..nice job you have done on your mams shower..glad you got the tiles sorted out and stuff.

12. *welsh.wizard*

Pics are blurry on me pics of late JP. - I must remember to clean the lense.

It was a pain to do (wall panels, PVC trim and Skirts etc) - but it looks great when it's done mate.

:)

13. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I'm interested in the wall panels you used Welsh..as my mam cannot now use a bath etc and am going to have to think about a shower for her. Me mam lives in a ground floor flat and where the shower is going it is surrounded by tiles on plasterboard walls so will have to think about those panels..done plenty of other showers..some which needed the use of DPR (damp proof render etc) but that is all self explanatory.

As a point of interest my missus and daughter got back from Bloomington in the USA last week and there shower rooms use some kind of plastic paneling on the walls. (Timber Frame Construction for house)

14. *welsh.wizard*

Drop me an email - whenever you're ready and we can discuss them - Great Things - so they are.

welshwizard_01@hotmail.co.uk

15. X

X New Member

will have to think about those panels

Pros and cons..

Pros = fairly easy to install

Cons = £££

16. *welsh.wizard*

will have to think about those panels

Pros and cons..

Pros = fairly easy to install

> Cons = £££

No X, I haggled the price down per panel - they are very reasonably priced to start mate.

When they first came out - years ago - I took my sister up to price them for here Bathroom - They wanted Thousands of pounds for a "supply Only". (respatex panels).

Years later there are different makes and most importantly - Cheaper.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Will think about it X..cheers. Must admit don't really want to start ripping out plasterboard etc and using that specifically designed stuff..Must work on minimum disruption if me mam says go ahead..thanks.

18. *welsh.wizard*

Must Dash Gents, I bid you both a pleasant Evening.

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

So its Respatex Panels..will Google and see what its all about..could be good..thanks Welsh and X.

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Must Dash Gents, I bid you both a pleasant Evening.

Have a good one mate..:)