Shed Insulation - Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by will2022, Jun 16, 2022.

1. will2022

will2022 New Member

Hi,

I've got a shed/cabin at the end of the garden that I use to work from home. It's approx 3m x 5m with a pitched roof - walls 44mm thick. But it gets too hot in summer, too cold in winter. I have an electric heater to heat my knees, but that's all.

I want to stop the extremes of temperature across the year, and am told that insulation in the roof will allow me to do this.

The advice I want is to work out the best method to insulate the pitched roof - either celotex / tape or silver bubble sheet. Has anyone got any suggestions that won't break the bank?

Thanks, Will

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

If your walls are 44mm thick I'm assuming this is an interlocking log cabin, like mine (3.5m x 5.5m). I've got 50mm PIR insulation under the floor and on the roof (warm roof), its still gets hot in the summer and of course cold in winter.

Winter isn't so much of a problem, with a 3KW heater it'll get it to a reasonable temperature soon enough then clicks on and off to keep it there (needs a decent electric supply mine is 32A). Hot in summer is more problematic, only think to do is open windows and doors to get a draft through.

Unless you want to redo the roof with 50mm PIR/Celotex and add an EPDM covering while you're at it, a silver bubble sheet thing on the inside is the easiest (YBS Airtec double), but won't look great. This will help keep the heat in, but not a great deal. The best bang for buck is to ensure they aren't cracks where air can get in during the winter and create drafts.

As for summer, just ventilation. Airtec will help, but won't keep it cool. My cabin stays cooler for longer, but when its hot outside, the inside temperature will soon rise

will2022 likes this.