Shed problems with mould

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Charlotte Eaton, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Charlotte Eaton

Charlotte Eaton New Member

Hi guys, I’m a full on novice with DIY!
    I bought a shed in summer and the last few weeks it’s got insane levels of mould inside! I’ve sprayed it with mould remover for now but I need to know how to stop it altogether. I’m thinking about insulating it to prevent to crazy temp changes as it seems to be causing a lot of condensation. I’ve bought some insulation from Aldi this morning and I plan on covering it with thin sheet wood.

Questions: should I paint the interior shed walls with a waterproof or mould repellent paint before insulating? Should I also then paint the same on the wood once it’s covered? Also, what sort of wood should I use to cover the insulation? Just needs to be super thin but no idea if I’m looking at mdf or plywood???

There’s no obvious leaks although the floor is very wet so I’ve order those plastic honeycomb shed base things to raise it off the floor so I’m hoping that’ll solve the majority of the issues but I just want to prevent it happening again as it’s a major hassle, I have to store my wheelchair and medical equipment in the shed because there’s no room in the flat!! This stuff is pretty expensive and I don’t want it to be ruined by mould/damp
    Any advice will be gratefully received xxx

2. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

do you have any pictures of the shed so we can see what sort it is and its construction and how its been installed please

3. Charlotte Eaton

Sorry it keeps coming up with error when I try to add a picture
    It’s a 6x8 apex shiplap shed sitting on paving slabs

4. Charlotte Eaton

EDIT not sure how to edit the actual thread!
    But one of my other concerns is ventilation, if I seal the wood then insulate it and board it up will the lack of ventilation cause problems too?

5. Charlotte Eaton

Ok more questions are popping into my head!!
    * If I add air vents on opposite walls should I have one low & one high?
    * do I need a vent on the plywood cladding inside too so that the air comes through the insulated walls? It’s only the thin silver bubble wrap style insulation with the air gap between that and the exterior wall so if there’s vents would that alter the insulation of it? So confused!!

6. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

You need the air vents to effectively vent the shed, I would put them towards the top of the walls as warm rises. If there is insulation in the way of the vents then you need to make room for the air to move!

Mould is caused by condensation, and condensation is caused by warm moist air hitting a cooler surface. Therefore, venting the shed should reduce the moisture content and stop the air getting so warm and so will not hold as much moisture. The insulation will help in so far as you'll no longer have cold walls, but a word of caution - if there is still air between the insulation and walls it could make the situation worse.

7. Charlotte Eaton

Hi thanks for the tip, I’ll put the vents at the top and cut a little hole for the air on the inside.

I read somewhere that if using the bubble wrap style insulation you need to leave the air gap as it can’t be put directly onto the walls of the shed. It said to secure the insulation to the batons of the shed walls so it left an inch or so gap between the shed wall and the insulation. Should I not do this?

8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I personally would not bother with insulation for a shed, what benefit is it going to give?

9. Charlotte Eaton

im getting crazy condensation in there and I’ve only had the shed for a couple months and there’s so much mould in there. I was told insulating it would help to regulate the temp and reduce the amount of condensation?

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I think better to have decent ventilation.

Charlotte Eaton likes this.