Shed/summerhouse cladding alternatives

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Blue09, Mar 20, 2021.

1. Blue09

Blue09 New Member

Hi guys I'm building a 3m x 3m shed or summerhouse for the kids soon but didn't actually realise how much the cladding costs. It's going to cost around £650ish for the timber and osb but it's probably around another 4 or 500 for cladding. The back and 2 sides will be hidden by bushes and I don't really want to waste money cladding those so can you think of any alternatives? Possible ideas so far are felting or possibly corrugated box profile but that will still cost about 100 per side. Maybe something like cemboard or some sort of external insulation board that's weatherproof. Or even just painting the osb in creasote or something similar then a water repellent over the top. Anyway hopefully someone on here will have some better ideas.

2. Rick1632

Rick1632 Active Member

Plywood?

Get some 18mm sheets - painted they'll resist the weather - just make sure that the ends are well protected as if any moisture gets in there, they'll delaminate.

3. Blue09

Blue09 New Member

I'm not too sure, maybe marine ply but thats expensive. I've got painted ply in my chicken coop which is not in great shape although it's only 15mm.

4. Rick1632

Rick1632 Active Member

Like I said you just need to make the board ends are protected - protect the tops by giving the roof a decent overhang. Protect the bottom by making sure it's well raised above ground level - or maybe brush coat the end with tar.

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Why not use polyester coated steel cladding sheets. You can order to size and they are not too expensive. https://www.cladco.co.uk/ I used this on the side of my garage where it couldn't be seen. The other sides are cembrit cement plank cladding.

6. Blue09

Blue09 New Member

Yes that's definitely an option but I've just been looking at cemboard as it's only £30 a sheet so I think I will definitely go for one of these two.

7. alecw255

alecw255 New Member

Hey Blue09,

any chance you can share the link where you found the Cemboard at £30 per sheet?

8. Bob256

Bob256 Active Member

Sorry for going off at a tangent, but I've never heard the word "eavestrough" before. I've just looked it up and it seems to be used in North America and especially Canada and is more or less synonymous with gutter. Are you Canadian/American or is this word sometimes used in the UK and does it mean anything different from a gutter?

9. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

Where, roughly, are you?