Shed ventilation - air brick

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MR HARRY, Apr 17, 2018.

1. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

I've converted my small shed into a gym but the ventilation is really poor and it is a bit damp in there.

On either side are the neighbours sheds, and I don't want to mess with the back wall because that is probably shared by the occupants opposite. So I only have the one wall to work with facing the house.

What would be the best way to ventilate the room passively (and not just by opening the doors)?

I was looking at air bricks and I think i'm going to install one, or two. Where would be the best place to put them on the one wall?

I was thinking of putting one high and one low, on either side of the wall. Or just installing one on the side, away from the door, and installing a vent into the door.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

In my log cabin, I drilled large holes in one wall - one up top another near the floor and fitted these vents on the outside

[​IMG]

On the inside I've got cheap plastic vent plates that can open/close but keep them open to allow air to flow.

3. MR HARRY

MR HARRY Member

Were they directly on top of each other? Did it improve the ventilation?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Yes, one up high, one low above it. It provides enough ventilation I think, no hint of damp. Does the job. You don't need much ventilation I think, just enough for air to circulate a bit and allow air to enter/exit the place as it warms and cools.