shed wall framing - advice please

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by happyhero, May 5, 2008.

1. happyhero

happyhero Member

Hi I am building a 6m x 2.5m shed whcich is supported on concrete blocks as the ground is very unlevel. I have completed the base on 8"x2" for the perimeter and then 4"x2" for the joists across at 400mm centers approx., with 18mm wbp ply for the floor.

Now I want to build the walls, I would like to use 4"x2" timber for this, then clad in 12mm ply sheets and then finish off with loglap on the outside probably. But I am torturing myself with a simple part and need some advice.

How far apart should I do my uprights (I was thinking of cost but I do not want to skimp, I prefer quality every time). I was thinking 600mm centers being perfect since it is not a floor but a wall and will have ply and cladding on it but if I do this then the 4"x2" wont pick up the sheet joins correctly ie depending which way I go with my sheets they are either 2440mm or 1220mm, (400mm centers seem too close and over the top on timber), so what would you suggest is best?

Secondly can you see any reason to decide which way to fit my ply sheets, ie horizontal or vertical, I was thinking vertical is best because the wall heights are 7' 6" and the 8' sheets could be used whole and overhang to cover the 8"x2" perimeter joists, but I wondered if they should go the other way for some reason, perhaps due to something to do with the spacing of the uprights in my question above?

As you can see I am building a very strong large shed/workshop.

Any advice appreciated.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

go for 2ft centres[610mm]to fit your sheet material

i used 3x2" for my shed walls at 610 centres some for a 10 ft span

<center>
    [​IMG]

</center>
    some measuring tapes have diamonds/triangles or simmilar

big allmarking sheet size spacings

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

hope this works ;)
    [​IMG]

big all

4. mof

mof Member

Do as big Al says and use 3*2, 4*2 is silly, there are much bigger sheds than yours made with 3*2, mine is 9 meters by 4.5 meters and the spacing of the verticals is 600 mm adjusted now and again to suit the 8*4 sheets. I sheeted mine with the modern equivalent of flat asbestos (no painting or treatment necessary)

5. happyhero

happyhero Member

Cheers guys appreciate the advice, I am stuck with 4"x2"s though as I already had a load delivered but its not too bad as I have a friend who orders a load of this all the time at work and they get big dicounts and they get it for me cheap sometimes, when I can order a load.

Looks a nice shed big all.