Sheet materials without a van?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gingertimmins, May 29, 2018.

1. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

hi there, I've got a doorway to close up and I need one or two sheets of plasterboard and a few lengths of timber for the stud work. I only have a Vauxhall corsa which obviously won't take the materials but I really don't want to pay £30 for delivery from the big DIY shops as the materials are only coming to about £30.
    Is it tough luck or is there some sort of work around?
    I don't know anyone with a van and hiring someone with a van also seems a bit pricey.

Any suggestions?

Chris

2. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Roof rack and cut your plasterboard in half?

Edit: Pretty sure our local B&Q has a van hire arrangement. Worth checking out.

3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Are you using it as a full sheet? or a door sized piece? If the latter, then measure up, add 20cm in each direction, and see if it can fit. Then take a straight edge, tape and knife with you, cut at the shop and fit it in.

4. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

I'd thought about it but the price of a rack puts me off as we're getting a new car later in the year and no doubt the rack won't fit the new car.

Perhaps I have to bite the bullet and pay the delivery.

5. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

That's a good shout!

6. WillyEckerslike

It is a problem. I've collected that many roof racks over the years that I've ended up giving a couple away. I have got some bars with a variety of interchangeable feet which has lessened the issue.

I think there are inflatable roof racks which you could transfer to your new vehicle.

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Had to do it myself recently - a borrowed estate car but could not quite get the 1220mm width in. Knew I was safe taking about 100mm off for around 400mm - fitted in fine and no problems whne back on site.

8. WillyEckerslike

I still think you'll struggle with a Corsa but good luck.

9. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

It is really annoying. Even though I'm spending £150 in total only about £30 of that is classed as "bulk items" so £120 worth of gear is delivered for free but the remaining £30 costs me £30 delivery.
    My mates got a camper van which may do as a last resort but with all the built in stuff I don't think there's that much room!

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  10. Dam0n

Dam0n Screwfix Select

For comical value get a couple of mates around and walk it home

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  11. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

That would assume I have more than one mate
    Could hire the chuckle brothers- to me, to you...

Dam0n and WillyEckerslike like this.
  12. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Open hatch ( jumper to pad around wiper ,4x2 to prop hatch level )and lay boards on roof with no overhang to front window ( prevents air from lifting boards ) stud on top ( strengthens boards ) , rope though front doorways and at rear ( around hatch ) , don't drive over 30 ...

13. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Avoid police and speed bumps

14. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Somebody with a tow bar on their vehicle and a trailer could deliver it for you.
    But £30, although a bit steep, isn’t a very large sum of money, considering labour and van costs that any company has.
    I look at it as it would take me time trying to secure a load to my van and then drive to the job and unload it, so time and bother saved if you just pay the extra.
    If you had have been paying a tradesperson to supply the materials, then they would have had to charge you for their time to do so

15. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

I know what you're saying but I'm spending a total of 150. Are they really going to send 2 separate vans?

16. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Still, their profit on the £150 isn’t £150 (100%).
    So they have their cost of vehicle and driver, which is high and probably a loss making but essential part of their business.
    Maybe you are not far from your nearest store and see it as expensive. I do understand though.
    I am lucky I have an independent hardware store very local that charges only a few pounds.
    You could perhaps ask a local person who wants to earn a few pounds to collect the large materials for half what B&Q want

17. facilities

facilities Guest

68F251C2-93CA-4D04-9E01-24998DB6A00E.jpeg You should be fine in a Corsa, moved this wardrobe last week on my bike

Heat, WillyEckerslike and DIY womble like this.
  18. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Rather than one of the sheds, try the builders merchants. They may have different delivery policies. If it was my merchant, cw berry in Leyland, you'd have no problem getting your timber and plasterboard delivered FOC.

Heat likes this.
  19. gingertimmins

gingertimmins Member

I've just been looking at travis Perkins and I think they will deliver an order of £50 for free which is strange as they own wickes who want £30. TP are a bit more expensive per sheet but overall I think it's more cost effective

Heat likes this.
  20. WillyEckerslike

Watch out though as TP prices exclude VAT.