Shifting Patio Slabs / Builders Sand

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Memphis001, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Memphis001

Memphis001 New Member

Hey - got a lot of this after lifting a patio. Is there demand for this (for free?) or do I have to pay someone to shift it?

It is all in fairly good condition.

Thanks!

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I see a lot of these materials being offered for free (more often than not) on local Facebook Marketplace sites on a regular basis

Slabs, crazy paving, hardcore, shingle and part used ton bags off sand, all usually receive a fair few replies of interest, although I can’t obviously say if these actually lead to collection

A few people try and sell these materials for a few quid but there’s usually so much offered for free - why would anyone pay

As you say, it saves you the hassle of removing it and paying for the service so may as well give the stuff away for free

Can get messed around by a few people and you get those that just want 1 slab to stand a pot plant on and plenty that want but have no suitable vehicle (or no vehicle at all) for transport !

Also local sites such as Gumtree, Freecycle, or possibly online community groups all worth advertising on

I’ve just picked up a load of ballast and sharp sand for a future project, had to transfer from ton bags to smaller rubble sacks but all free and just around the corner to me and goes in the back of the car

Good luck giving the stuff away

3. Memphis001

Memphis001 New Member

thanks, finally shifted the sand via facebook marketplace! just the slabs to go now!!

DIYDave. likes this.
  4. Offshore

Offshore Active Member

I lifted nigh on a hundred slabs a few years ago from my front garden when we had our driveway redone. They were in decent nick but obviously "used". For convenience of disposing of them I offered them for free to anyone who wanted to collect them - it was like a feeding frenzy! It had to be first come, first served but I ended up with people knocking my door to complain that there wasn't enough left or they were a bit tatty and did I have anything in better condition. Even had one woman ask me when I was getting more in stock. I'm glad I don't deal with the public on a daily basis.

WillyEckerslike likes this.