Shocking Jacuzzi

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by RMH, Jul 7, 2006.

1. RMH

RMH New Member

Just wondering if any one might be able to advise?
    A friend has a jacuzzi in his back garden, its been installed for about 18 months, recently he has been getting small shocks when getting out. He says that when he gets out and is still holdin the sides (wood/plastic) he gets zapped.
    Any ideas?
    Many Thanks

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Get a sparks in to sort it out....theres an earth breach..very serious indeed.

3. sparkin!

sparkin! New Member

IS HE ON A PME SUPPLY?

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

IS HE ON A PME SUPPLY?

Exactly..could be..this is not a superflous problem.

5. sparkin!

sparkin! New Member

jp if he is convert to tt as soon as poss!
    or trust supply authority?

6. Lokkars Daisy

Lokkars Daisy New Member

RCD not operating ?

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

jp if he is convert to tt as soon as poss!
    or trust supply authority?

Advance..yes I know where you are coming from. Might be something simple though which a sparks will pick up on virtually instantly. Must admit in this instance a spark should be called..never know..PME..millions to one chance busted neutral..pulling down to earth through goodness knows what? Serious though..very serious.

8. RMH

RMH New Member

many thanks for the reply's.
    I have told him to get the sparks back who originally installed it, but it appears that he's no longer around!
    suggested he gave it a wide birth until it has been sorted by someone in the know.
    Why suddenly after 18 months it has happened?

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

suggested he gave it a wide birth until it has been
    sorted by someone in the know.
    Why suddenly after 18 months it has happened?

Wide birth..excellent mate..the sparks will sort it out.

10. Real Spark

Real Spark New Member

Yes there could be a fault, do get it checked out

However don’t rule out static, if so use an anti static substance on unit

RS

11. PimperneltheScarlet

PimperneltheScarlet New Member

Anybody thought he may be wearing different trunks which cause a build up of static due to friction with the plastic and his zapping is this dicharging only when he gets out? Could test this by getting an earthing bracelet as used by computer engineers, gronding it and wearing it while in the jacuzzi. Course this arrangement could also prove lethal! :)

12. PimperneltheScarlet

PimperneltheScarlet New Member

I hate the fact that there's no "Edit" button on this forum - can't correct my typo's! :-((

13. Noz Spark

Noz Spark New Member

It would be very unlikely that an earthing wriststrap would be lethal. They normally have a 1Mohm resistor built into them to reduce current flow and protect and SSD's. If you touched 230v then the current through the strap would be 0.23mA. Hardly lethal!!

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Has it been used more often recently ?

Maybe the build up of damp and water over the ground has suddenly made the 'earth' more 'earthed' if you get what I mean. More conductive.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

RCD not operating ?

Probably ain't got one as there's no requirement for one.

However, like showers I'd fit one anyway.

16. hertssparky

hertssparky New Member

Do you think it could be a static build up between him and his young lady?
    Would a condom insulate against this?
    sorry i've been drinking again

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

By the very nature of these units, they do build a static charge - large motors running....fibreglass....

There is usually no earthed parts exposed on these units - it's all enclosed - so PME shouldn't be a problem. In fact, most units do mention this in the install guide.

I would get it checked out, but wouldn't be suprised to find it's totlly sound...

18. BlueQ

BlueQ New Member

Sinewave, I was surprised when you said there is no requirement for RCD protection in this case. How come? I thought the circuit would have to be RCD protected as the power presumably goes from the house to the hot tub which is outside in the garden. I.e. the appliance is outside the equipotential zone. Ok so it's not a socket, but still. I think I'd want to see it RCD protected personally. I'm surprised it's not required.

19. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member