Shop bought circular saw guide rails

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by u0362565, Apr 14, 2019.

1. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Hi all,

I've got a guide rail compatible circular saw but haven't bought a guide rail yet. I've now seen lots of tutorials on how to make your own guide rails from scrap MDF/PLY. As the shop bought rails are pretty expensive do they offer many advantages over making your own aside from accuracy of its construction? I'm now wondering why I bought a guide rail compatible saw when you can make your own that would work with a home made rail..

Thanks for the help

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

providing your boards not covered is sawdust
    2 marks lay track and cut no need to clamp as the tracks are grippy enough

4. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Thanks KIAB, sounds like that might be worth a look. I just wonder why people make their own if you can buy them relatively cheap. I also wonder if its best to buy a rail from the same manufacturer of the saw as perhaps there are additional features as they're designed to be used together. Again though a Bosch guide rail is mega expensive for even short lengths and perhaps no better than other compatible FSN rails.

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

few saws and tracks are interchangeable

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

According to Toolstop

These saws have been tested and function correctly with both the Evolution ST1400 & ST2800 track:

• Festool: TS55REBQ-PLUS / HK55
    • Titan: TTB673CSW
    • Makita: DSP600ZJ / DSP601ZJU / SP6000J
    • Bosch: GKS 55 GCE / GKS 65 GCE
    • Triton: TTS1400
    • Erbauer: ERB690CSW
    • Metabo: KS55 FS
    • Scheppach: PL45

7. DIYperson

DIYperson Member

I bought that one from Lidl about 2 years ago. Used if for the first time 2 weeks ago! Easy to use, it clamps up to 1m width. Did the job.

8. big all

big all Screwfix Select

more than i though so correct my comments too
    "some tracks and saws are not compatible ":):)

9. u0362565

u0362565 Member

Ok thanks for the extra info. From what I've now read some rails need more adjustment to do angled cuts, some allow you to just tilt the saw to the required angle and go without risk of it eating the rail. What I quite like on the Bosch rail is that the slot for the baseplate is very narrow so very well fitted for a Bosch saw, that and you can extend them quite easily. Anyway will shop around, always amazed at what Lidl and Aldi sell sometimes.