Shotblasted radiators

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Mike1982, Apr 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mike1982

Mike1982 New Member

Redoing a room and the radiator had a lot of old paint, including emulsion I think, so I took it to a local place and had it shot/sand blasted to remove the paint. It's come back with a slightly rough finish, like fine sand paper. Do I need it to be smooth before painting? Was just going to use rattle can radiator paint. Will it be smooth after several coats of that? The paint is suitable for bare metal, so wasn't planning on priming or anything. Thank in advance!

2. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Get it powder coated ... the finish will be way better than you can achieve.

Astramax likes this.
  3. Mike1982

Mike1982 New Member

Not massively worried about the finish, as it's a low traffic room and we're on a tight budget. Wondering if the spray paint will still give it a smooth ish coat, or if it needs sanding or what?

4. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

My local guy would charge £10-20 cash for doing a radiator, how much will a couple of cans of paint cost?

5. Mike1982

Mike1982 New Member

Anywhere near Kidderminster? I don't have a powder coating guy!

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

An excellent finish for painting as is. The difficulty will be painring all the surface.

7. Kingscurate

Kingscurate Active Member

To an experienced sprayer, the shot blast is not an issue for smooth finish. If it bothers you go over it with a piece of scotch brite.