Should BBC go ?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by quasar9, Jan 18, 2022.

1. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Do people realise what they are already paying for ITV/Ch4/Five and independent radio? It is estimated to now be between £700 and £1000 per annum per houshold - all of it is hidden cost. Buyt a new car and maybe £1000 goes to TV for advertising, go to Tesco or Sainsburys and maybe £1-2 per week, or £50-100 per year ... Once you understand te commercial TV model and advertising,you can see teh good value in BTs licence fee.#

2. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

I read that last time you posted it (if it wasn't you, I apologise, the wording was almost identical) and the figures are massively exaggerated...

There's a very big difference between choosing to buy from companies which have an advertising budget, and being forced by law to pay a tax to fund a public broadcaster!

rogerk101 and MRY like this.
  3. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

Yes it’s true, but you don’t have to buy that product, but you are forced to buy a BBC licence. As a percentage, the worst products in terms advertising are the luxury goods. A typical bottle of high end perfume, say £100 retail, the cost of active chemicals and alcohol barely adds up to £5. The bottle and packaging is probably the same or a bit higher. At least £15 goes into glossy advertising and the rest is pure profit!

A mechanism for a Rolex is around £100, a basic stainless steel case, bracelet and crystal another £100. We all know what they sell for.

Yet films and TV productions are full of these products ! James Bond movies at the top of this scale.

rogerk101 likes this.
  4. Nail_2512

Nail_2512 Member

Why is it good value for me to have to pay for something I don't really use? If I was using netflix as infrequently as I watch the bbc, we would be cancelling the subscription....

rogerk101 likes this.
  5. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

So buy being forced to pay for a licence fee that's money added on top.

6. MRY

MRY Screwfix Select

7. NJ Rider

NJ Rider Member

Adverts aren't a forced tax and you don't have thugs trying to break into your home and receive offensive letters daily like a criminal scammer. If the BBC stopped sending postal letters twice a day to every home in the UK they would likely have plenty of funding doing away with the franking costs! It would save money in government funding for the public courts.

No other company gets a free lunch or the ability to threaten, abuse and intimidate its customers as a legally protected right. No other company gets to impose "criminal" justice on its clients for nonpayment.

If we live in a fair, equal society then the BBC should be funded by subscription or advertising and selling its products to other networks. And the BBC already does all of that via BritBox, Radio Times and the licensing of its programmes to other countries and networks. So they have the experience and the facilities to change their model right now. They don't do this due to greed. They get free money to waste as they please whilst throwing poverty stricken single mothers in prison and forcing old people to shiver in the cold to avoid knuckle dragging thugs forcing their way into homes.

They are an outdated elitist institution that breeds corruption and scandals. No one at the BBC has ever been brought to justice for their involvement in child sexual abuse or sexual abuse within the organisation itself. They act above to law knowing if they ever get fined the public foot the bill.

That's even before we get to politics and their unethical journalist practices.

No one to be forced on pain of imprisonment to pay for a service they don't want and don't use.

rogerk101 likes this.
  8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I dont watch TV and its years since i paid for a TV licence.

9. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

The man who pays the piper calls the tune.

10. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

Except that doesn't actually happen does it, hence the massive left wing bias...

11. doesitmatter

doesitmatter New Member

Nah, I don't think it should.

In my job, I regularly give comments to journalists and although I'm more likely to get one sort of journalist from the BBC, when I am featured for stuff, it's always the balanced journalists which make the stories go further and make more sense.

To me, they just need to balance out their programming and think a little more about how they achieve balance. It's easy to call them propaganda machines for anyone, unlike some other channels, which means they can be pretty balanced, so let's ensure it's more balanced, rather than writing them off.

12. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

They tried so hard to appeal to the young that they lost their older audiences, but they didn't actually manage to become relevant to the young, do they've basically lost everyone! I'm only referring to Radio 4 and the BBC TV channels, as I have never listened to any if their other radio stations.

13. quasar9

quasar9 Screwfix Select

You are right ! Lots of companies blindly think catering to the under 25 is the way to go. Sadly, this is the most fickle of age groups, their tastes changing overnight as life takes over. BBC Is not the first. The other company I can think of that’s being blinded by the youth is Nissan. Micras have always appealed to the over 50’s, being reliable, sturdy and dependable. The latest is clearly aimed at 18-30 bracket, but no one of that age group wants one. They would rather have a Corsa , fiesta or a polo. No one over 50 can get into the new micra, being very low, cramped with fiddly buttons.

BiancoTheGiraffe likes this.
  14. Glennuk

Glennuk Member

BBC should just have adds same as other channels let’s face it you get 20 minutes of there adds for there own stuff so what’s the difference

15. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

BBC already has commercial operations, overseas sales and its large share in UKTV being two of them - personally I would cap the fee at say £50 and then let them run commercials on TV, but keep the radio commercial free, radio is the BBCs best service IMHO.

16. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Just for the record the BBC isn't sending round thugs to collect money for goodness sake. Collection of the licence fee (mandated by an act of parliament incidentally) is a subcontracted service managed by one of the outsourcing services that lots of organisations use - possibly Capita but I'm not sure. They are probably paid by results or even penalised for lack of them.

Given the constant cries of bias, from ALL sides of the political spectrum, that's possibly a crude measure of impartiality actually. There are occasions where I think the BBC is more interested in making the news rather than reporting it. The tiktok generation are now two generations away from a world war and one away from a cold war - when you could cut the air with a knife some days - and despite all the world's ills, a heavy dose of media trivia is clearly what we should be seeing in some people minds.

A new funding model will need to be found simply because things have changed beyond anyone's imagination when it was conceived. Watching television on a device you can carry in your pocket? Not even Tomorrow's World had that covered - an old BBC programme for our younger readers....

Before we cast the BBC adrift there are a number of peripheral casualties we might consider. BBC bitesize, advert free children's broadcasting, world leading natural history documentaries and a personal favourite - Test Match Special. It is unrivalled in the quality of its commentary, rarely political, outstandingly funny occasionally and usually absorbing - even gripping once in a while. It's commercial challengers don't compare in my opinion and although I like my cricket I'd rather not listen at all than listen to them.

BBC radio risks being thrown out with the bath water. The TV output has joined the race to the bottom and frankly given that you can watch anything anywhere nowadays that's inevitable. Why you should want to is beyond me but you can watch 'Strictly' on catch up and, its every twist and turn is 'news' apparently (see my earlier comment). Radio on the other hand is available to a lot of us whilst we're doing other things - working and driving (which is working for lots of people) for instance and we risk losing this at our peril. The ability to stimulate the mind, create a scene, describe something and keep us informed without any visual reference, or simply play some rocking tunes, makes it unique in how it reaches people.

Funnily enough BBC radio is how its public funding started and I shouldn't be surprised if that's how it ends.

Cloudsnapper and Jord86 like this.
  17. rogerk101

You can get all those benefits from podcasts from all sorts of podcasting service providers ... with the additional benefit of being able to choose what you want to listen to.

I have steadfastly refused to install the BBC's Sounds app, because there again, they limit you to their content. I would far rather pay the likes of Spotify to avoid adverts and get pretty much any and every podcast or music I'd ever want to listen to from there ... and that includes EVERYTHING that you can get on Sounds anyway.

18. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Literally millions of people listen to live over the air radio (Inc TMS) daily Roger without having BBC Sounds. I for one have no intention of downloading yesterday's news to listen on my way to and from work. And as for the traffic and weather reports....

19. NJ Rider

NJ Rider Member

Cancel your BBC license fee and see what happens. Depending on what part of the country you live in you might see a different level of thug. But in the North West its usually a G4 goon. Don't think they don't barge into homes. Check out the youtube clips or visit your local magistrates Court. Watch the clips as they try to get people to agree to an offence or attach cables to aerials to falsify claims a TV was used to view live broadcasts. Speak the the magistrates panel about the guidelines they have to follow and what they are and aren't allowed to rule on in licensing cases. Yes the "contractors" are paid on commission for how many people they can get a summons for. You think just because you pay someone else to do your dirty work that exonerates you of any wrongdoing?

It doesn't matter if its mandated by Parliament. It's the BBC that throws a tantrum every time it comes up for review. And it's soon to be ended by parliament too.

Regardless of your rose-tinted view of the world. Forcing people to pay for a service they do not want or use is unethical and unfair. People should have free choice of what services and providers they wish to use and support with their hard earned money.

Any organisation that gets guaranteed money regardless of the quality of service they provide, breeds corruption and complacency. It goes against free market values and a fair and equal society.

I'm not even saying ban the BBC. I'm saying they should be responsible for their own funding. Those that want the BBC can reach into their own pocket and fund it.

rogerk101 likes this.
  20. rogerk101

I've never downloaded a podcast, because I just stream them in real time, whether I'm at home or out and about. I have a 25GB data bundle for £8 per month, and have never come close to using it all up.

I get the weather from a weather app, the traffic reports from Google maps (which are far more 'real time' than anything I'd get from BBC radio), and I decided years ago that what the BBC calls news is just a stream of woke brainwashing, which I can live perfectly well without.

To each his own, but don't expect me to pay for stuff I don't want but others might still like.