Should I paint walls first or put new flooring in and skirting?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by sunilh121, Sep 14, 2017.

1. sunilh121

sunilh121 New Member

Hello

I'm new to DIY and I want to know if I should put the floor and skirting on before painting? I am doing to use dulex hardware / washable paint to paint the walls.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Floor, skirting, any mastic for gaps, etc, then paint walls, woodwork.

3. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I would paint the skirting and walls then lay the floor.
    Put the skirt on.
    and then touch up....

5. frosty82

frosty82 Active Member

Why go to the hassle of protecting a new floor?
    I'd paint the ceiling, then walls.
    Fit skirting, caulk. Touch up walls and paint skirting unless leaving natural.
    Then fit floor! If you're fitting wooden flooring/laminate then fitting the skirting after the flooring gives a better finish and covers the expansion gap without the need of mouldings.

There will always be snagging (touching up) to do before completely finished but do as much messy work as possible before laying flooring, hanging new doors, moving in furniture etc as possible.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old carpet is great for protecting floors, then covered with dust sheets.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

My take on this is to paint ceilings and walls to just above skirting line. Fit floor and skirtings. Caulk, cut in walls and paint skirtings. More than one way to skin a cat of course :)

8. Do the ceilings first in any case :)

If a wood/laminate floor, then fit that before the skirtings as said above - the skirtings will cover the expansion gap without unnecessary additional mouldings. Cut all the skirtings to size and mitre all the corners - hold them in place with a few tacked-in nails. When you know they are all correct, remove them, prime them and give them at least two top coats. Once refitted, they'll only need touching up, and you might even be able to fully avoid the tricky floor line.

If the walls are fresh plaster, then they'll need a mist coat at least, including - I understand - the areas behind the skirtings, or else adhesive won't stick them in place (if that's what you want to use).

If the floor is going to be carpet, then I'd paint the walls and skirtings (in situ) first. Yes, the carpet fitters are likely to chip the skirting paint and scuff the walls, but only a small amount of making good should be needed - far easier than painting that skirting/carpet line again - that's hellish... :oops:

9. sunilh121

sunilh121 New Member

I just got my wall paint and had a look at it and when closing it. It splattered onto my celling :mad:. I have to patch it up now by paint over it a few times :mad::mad::mad: