Should I water seal my house??

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Lfr, Nov 7, 2019.

?

Good idea or bad idea to water seal?

1. Good idea.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Bad idea.

100.0%
  1. Lfr

Lfr New Member

Morning all.

I have a Victorian brick single-skinned house that I'd like to keep as warm as dry as possible. I have been recommended Thompson's water seal, or similar.

Is this a good idea or the start beginning of a nightmare? Or just a waste of time and money?

Happy to provide more details if needed.

Many thanks in advance.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

Can cause no end of problems.

Why you wanting to seal the brickwork,usually damp is cause by other issues, broken pipes, poor pointing, leaking gutters,etc,etc.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  3. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Bad idea. Bricks need to breath. Assuming you have single skin but 9" walls.

Having said that, is using this stuff any different to painting the external walls with masonry paint?

Joe the Plumber and KIAB like this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As does stone.

Joe the Plumber likes this.
  5. Lfr

Lfr New Member

There is no real damp at all. The thinking was to keep the walls dry and prevent water wicking away heat quite as much as it does now.

9 inch walls.

6. Joe the Plumber

Joe the Plumber Screwfix Select

All these wall seal products do is trap water in the bricks in winter which then freezes and blows the faces off them.

The previous owner of my house used it liberally and we've now got lots of damaged bricks.

KIAB likes this.