Should shower and washing machine waste go through the same pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Magsie, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Magsie

Magsie New Member

We are having a new bathroom fitted. The plan is that the waste pipe from the washing machine (which is located in a utility cupboard next to the bathroom) will travel through the bathroom wall and run under the shower tray.

About halfway along, the washing machine waste will be intersected by a waste pipe from the shower. Both have Hep VO valves on them.

From the intersection, the waste will go directly into the main soil pipe as the previous waste pipe disappears down into a concrete floor and is too fragile to attempt to use. The previous waste pipe will be capped. I am uncertain whether any further Hep VO valves will be used.

I have been previously advised that waste from the washing machine and shower should be kept separate so I am a bit confused by this plan and concerned about potential smells, blockages etc from the soil and waste pipes.

Can someone tell me if the proposed plan is ok, any questions I need to ask, additional stuff which might need to be installed?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Can' see why not as they both will have a trap fitted to eliminate odours. Plumbers will soon answer your question I'm sure.

Magsie likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Screwfix Select

Not ideal, but it probably will work.
    Why can’t the shower waste be independent and run out to soil stack?

Magsie and KIAB like this.
  4. ESPlumb

ESPlumb Member

This set up will work, however it would definitely be better to install separate pipes if possible.
    If you have to install Hep VO traps I’d recommend they are accessible for future maintenance. I’ve seen many blockages on showers with them and would imagine one on a washing machine waste would block easily too.

Magsie and Heat like this.
  5. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

Separate waste runs into separate soil pipe connections are recommended you dont need any hepvo products just a standard washing machine stand pipe kit and a decent shower trap. edit and a decent installer ;)

What your installer wants to install will most probably just about work but consider how well the set up will work in a years time.

:)

Magsie and Heat like this.
  6. Magsie

Magsie New Member

The soil pipe is located in a service box in a flat so there is constant water etc going through it. As far as I can see there is only one connector available without replacing a section of the soil pipe. The plan was to put the washing machine waste into this connection. Unfortunately the separate waste pipe for the old bath was very fragile and the connection is way down in the concrete floor.

The plumber has suggested he would need to dig out a good size chunk of the floor to get to it and, if he manages to get to it there could be a problem with the connection to the flat below so he's concerned about doing it. He felt it was better connect the shower waste to the washing waste and they both feed into the previously unused connector in the soil pipe.

What are your thoughts?

7. Magsie

Magsie New Member

That's one of my concerns, even though the advertising for Hep VO traps says they never block because of their unique design. Showers and washing machine spit out a huge amount of gunk over time. I don't see how they can't get blocked over time.

8. ecoplumbing

ecoplumbing Active Member

What's the approx distance from the shower to the soil stack?

Magsie likes this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If only one pipe is possible into main soil stack, then try and fit a bit of 50mm.

Heat and Magsie like this.
  10. Magsie

Magsie New Member

The shower is flanked by 3 walls. The waste is about halfway along the shower tray on the long side so I would guess 800cm.

11. Magsie

Magsie New Member

I'm not sure what you mean, could you give me more info?

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The bigger the pipe, the less likely it is to get blocked up. If the WAshing MC and shower is ‘teed’ into one pipe, then try and make that one pipe 50mm.

Heat and Magsie like this.
  13. ecoplumbing

800cm? If you've understood my question then that's 8 meters from the shower waste to to soil pipe?

Magsie likes this.
  14. ESPlumb

ESPlumb Member

I like your thinking but if you’re going to stick a fanny trap on the pipework to prevent backflow then the blockage will always be on the trap regardless of how big the pipework is. Best to avoid using a hep v0 if at all possible

Magsie likes this.
  15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I didn’t mention a ‘fanny trap’, the OP did.

16. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Ah ok, I see what you're saying. Thank you.

17. Magsie

Magsie New Member

Sorry, 800mm!! What is your thinking in respect of the distance?

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

We knew what you meant ;)

Magsie likes this.
  19. ecoplumbing

When running a 40mm pipe into a soil stack, there's maximum lengths it should be run in. I think 40mm is 3 or 4 metres. Any more than this then the pipe should be changed to 50mm. So i was just trying to establish if the pipe run would be long?

Magsie likes this.
  20. Magsie

Magsie New Member

So presumably as the run is less than a metre the 40mm pipe is ok?