Show some respect...

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by WillyEckerslike, May 1, 2020.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

There are NHS staff dying in their posts caring for victims of Covid-19.

With regard to shopping we are only allowed out of our homes for essential necessities but clearly there are many on here who seem to think that they're so important that all manner of DIY and gardening tasks warrant a trip out. Really?

I can't decide if I'm just embarrassed or ashamed to be a member on here now.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Good observation Willy that one of the reasons why I have been recommending places such as ebay and the paint shed as both mail order/ courier home delivery.

masterdiy and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's obvious you need to get out more! ;)

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

An apology. The red mist started to descend last night as I read a number of posts after a few days in absentia.

In my haste to make my point I overlooked non-NHS carers and staff who are also making the ultimate sacrifice. I am sorry about that. You all have my admiration.

candoabitofmoststuff likes this.
  5. spannerw

spannerw Screwfix Select

Totally agree with you Willy, but what about those people working in the transport industry taking those wonderful people to and from work every day?

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Apologies accepted.................half an hour on the naughty step should do it.:p

gadget man likes this.
  7. sparky steve

sparky steve Screwfix Select

And people working in the food sector who enable us to get that essential food shop

8. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

....and let's also not forget those still working in factories and production plants and those actually making and building things (yes there are quite a few even during lockdown) who are producing the excess wealth that enables us to afford to have the carers, emergency workers, NHS staff etc. that we do. Though if this lockdown goes on much longer that will be questionable.

9. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

All essential workers have our unconditional support. Its those who flaunt the rules, risking us all, by going out on a 'jolly' thinking they are no risk simply because they (think) they are not infected. Shame on them. I get up every day and am thankful that today its not me and mine! Hopefully, tomorrow might be the same. This will be a very long life changing haul.

Right, I'm off the soap box!

WillyEckerslike and Isaac Cox like this.
  10. timotay

timotay Active Member

People are out shopping anyway, the RISKS are not increased by allowing them to buy what is on the shelves !!!
    I repeat, the RISKS are not increased !!!!
    Transport companies are kept going.(and paying taxes in all areas)
    Warehouses are kept open (and paying taxes in all areas)
    As far as possible, certain UK based producers should be kept open, people employed, Gov. income increased.

Most bought items are VAT able.(Gov. income)
    It keeps shop workers in employment.(one of the most hit sectors)
    Saves the UK furlough costs.
    NI is paid.
    Tax is paid.
    Allows people at home to keep their mental and physical well being up.(gardening for example)
    Improve their surroundings.
    Most people do not have the time to do DIY usually so now is the time to do it. !!!!
    Now is the time to repair the road systems.....NOT when it's all back to normal and the M4/M5/M6 etc. are reduced to one lane for months !!!!
    What is the point in closing refuse tips....I personally don't hug the workers there at the best of times, altho i do realise that it's the highlight of the week for Mr Heat, Astramax and Willy and Dinkydo :D

That is NOT to say that very very strict PPE controls and other safety measures should NOT be implemented and increased in all these scenarios.

The only downside it that most of the junk bought will be from China....which needs to be addressed asap.
    Do we really need garlic, bought in Lidl, from China ?

rogerk101, enc, Heat and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Will these key workers still have people's respect when this calms down something tells me no, but I hope I'm wrong

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Looked online a couple of weeks back wanting to buy some seed potato's...............didn't bother.....why?

Came from 'China'..... as do most seeds including carrot.............WTF!.....give up.:mad::eek::eek::eek:

What else can we thank the EU for?:mad::mad::eek::eek::eek:

Heat and gadget man like this.
  13. timotay

timotay Active Member

This virus catastrophe is a wake up call to the nation.
    If we can produce ANYTHING at home in the UK we should. Even as an insurance against being held hostage in times of trouble by our "friends" in the EU.
    See how they treated Italy when this broke.
    A very wise man on here a few years ago said.(according to old posts)
    Why spend 84 BILLION pounds on a rail system to improve journey times by 15 minutes for a few thousand rich people, when you could start 84....ONE BILLION ...pound industries across the country in areas of depression.
    Cut down on pollution, travel time, socio-economic problems, stress and save the county billions in balance of payment deficits.

rogerk101, enc, Heat and 2 others like this.
  14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Used to be wonderful Apple Orchards all around my area.................what are they now .....housing estates.......Cox's Pippin sacrificed for, Pink Lady, Gala, Braeburn and other tasteless junk from the EU

15. Harry Stottle

Harry Stottle Screwfix Select

I always say about the French: I'll drive their cars and I'll drink their wine, but I won't eat their apples or use their letters

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Always found their letters rather snug but long so snipped the end off.

Obelix and timotay like this.
  17. Tangoman

Tangoman Well-Known Member

Who is they? The super powerful EU state that dictates all laws to every member state??
    LMAO - that only exists in the rather limited minds of Daily Express readers.

The EU has no authority over the actions of member states when it comes to things like this, more's the pity - if it did, we'd probably be in a far better position than the one far-**** Boris has left us in.

I DO find it rather unsurprising though that the most vocal in favour of making unnecessary journeys to buy whatever they fancy, is also a Brexiteer. It's just the "ME ME ME" mentality again.

18. Tangoman

I think most people don't realise that the reason this lock-down felt so severe, particularly early on, was all the businesses volunteering to close their doors. The government actually mandated for very few to do so.

Now we're starting to see increased traffic on the roads as many of them start to reopen. It's all part of the government plan - if it goes pear-shaped and R0 rises sharply they'll be like "It's YOUR fault! We didn't change the rules, YOU DID!"

I've given up hope that the UK government will get us out of this mess - it's just one bungle to another. Maybe many celebrated the testing target being hit? LOL - for a single day - trouble is, those tests were mostly useless as they were testing people in isolation anyway - the only way out of this is if the contacts of every +ve test are tracked down and tested quickly and isolated if +ve, and we absolutely have NO plan to do that.

19. timotay

timotay Active Member

Tangoman.
    'They' would be the EU. The EU has offered “a heartfelt apology” to Italy for letting it down at the start of the coronavirus crisis as fresh evidence emerged that few European countries are likely to have achieved herd immunity as they begin cautiously lifting their lockdowns.
    EU is supposed to be a group of countries that acts as one economic unit in the world economy.... until "it" hits the fan then it's every man for himself as they have demonstrated.
    The GOV. acted upon expert advice at various times.... some good.. some bad.(in retrospect)

Perhaps you could elucidate further on the actual increased risks (to Remainers or Leavers) of purchasing 20 items in a store as opposed to 6 "essential" items during one trip.?

Can you provide a legal definition of "essential" as encorporated in the Coronavirus Act 2020 ?

As I recall, it was the Leavers, in general, who were prepared to put up with problems and shortages for a few years to ensure our Sovereignty and free trade with the world.
    Hardly a 'me me' attitude. They also seem to understand what the words referendum and democracy means.
    :)

Joe the Plumber and longboat like this.
  20. Tangoman

As usual misrepresenations and utter nonsense

The "EU" hasn't apologised to anyone. The EU Commission president made a statement basically stating that EUROPE and by that she meant the NATIONS of Europe, didn't do enough to help Italy at the start. The EU has never had the power, not the ability to do anything except via the actions of its member states - but of course THAT concept is far too complex for you to grasp since you believe utterly in this idea of a corrupt ALL-powerful body.

Increased risk - sure - if a journey to a store carries a risk at all, then that risk will increase with a longer journey to a store (more chance of car accident/breaking down) and is quite obviously dependent on the length of time spent in a store, the number of objects touched etc. The more you buy the greater the risk. The risk is clearly doubled though if you visit two different stores.

While a shopping run to buy food is ESSENTIAL for life to continue, a shopping run to B&Q to buy some paint is NOT essential. Now I'm not going to condemn people for doing so because in my book, it's far more of a problem that we were continuing to run all kinds of non-essential business during our so-called lockdown, but to dismiss it as risk-free is selfish ignorance.

"fresh evidence emerged that few European countries are likely to have achieved herd immunity" err what on earth are you on about? The ONLY EU nations talking about achieving herd-immunity (it really is very unlikely to impossible that anyone COULD do this) are the UK and Sweden. Everyone else if focused on eradicating the virus. That's why when Spain relaxes their lockdown, it's still FAR more rigorous than OUR "lockdown" ever was lol. Lots of talk about English schools re-opening - THEY NEVER CLOSED! I have a friend who teaches and she still has 19 kids in her class - normally 30. That's how many "essential" workers there are.

Currently the UK is on a par with Italy and Spain in terms of deaths, but that will change massively moving forward as Italy and Spain continue to battle the virus, while we on the other hand are content to merely keep cases at a level the NHS can cope with - meaning that there'll be 300-1000 deaths every day between now and the middle of next year when MAYBE, if we're VERY VERY lucky, a vaccine can allow normal society to resume.