Shower Cabins

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Gummo, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

I'm looking for recommendations on shower cabins and where to reliably purchase one - please.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

save your money gummo, they're expensive and not worth the money, better to buy a shower tray and enclosure, you'll have a much wider range and will work out cheaper and better,

3. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Thanks Tom.  I want a cabin because I like the idea of not having to bother about tiling/panelling. It's a fast solution too.

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I understand that gummo, its like the old saying, the fastest way is not allways the best, that was confirmed by the fellow that took the fast way down off blackpool tower,
    seriously though, I once looked for one for a customer, the cheapest i could find was £750,  It came packed in a million pieces, It took me all day to assemble and fit, and was flimsy and came with no way of fixing proper to any wall, I had to build out a some studdings and silicone it to the wood,  never again,:'(

5. petertheplumber

petertheplumber New Member

I think there may be more than one make tom, I can't remember the make of the one I fitted a while ago, but I think I did it in about half a day, it wasn't too bad at all but I can't remember the make. It may have been more expensive and that made it easier, the customer supplied it so if gummo wants to have a look on internet he may find a better one that is easier to assemble, maybe.;)

6. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Thanks very much, Tom & Peter - didn't get the chance to reply sooner as we've been watching or two grandsons over the weekend (knackered.com).  That's my problem - assessing quality from afar and I'm none the wiser.

Hopefully, someone's fitted a cabin on here and can recommend it.

7. petertheplumber

8. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Thanks, Peter. My contractor was here yesterday - he too (ahem) poured cold water on the cabin idea, so I've ditched it.  Now, I'm respectfully asking for recommendations on where's best to purchase a regular shower, WHB and WC.

9. petertheplumber

The possibilities are endless, but get one with a good solid base not something cheap that will flex and fall apart so goes for screen, WHB, WC anywhere. And good luck, Anyway the installer can or should be able to give good advice.

10. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Cheers, Peter.

11. petertheplumber

12. CaptainPlumb

CaptainPlumb New Member

I don't really agree with Tom Plum, where he said that shower cabins are a waste of money.  I think there is a place for them in some situes, while in other situes they won't be applicable.  I just did a bathroom where the customer did want to tile the walls of the bathroom because the walls weren't very strong; therefore we painted the walls with bathroom paint and then fitted a complete shower enclosure, a more expensive one from Di Vapor but you get what you pay for.  All I had to do on that bathroom was tile the floor, paint the walls and assemble the steam shower cabin, which bolted together with screws (adding a bit of silicone between the panels).  Job's a goodun!

So I'll say it again; there's a place for them and there are places where they won't work.  If you want to save on tiling, it's a good option.

13. petertheplumber

I normally agree with Tom Captain but I have used them too and found them very good when needed, a time and a place for every thing.;)

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

fair comments, there's always room for a quick option, but until they drop the price of the blooming things, I'll always recommend the customer goes for tiling or panelling over a shower tray, In my opinion its a much better option,:)

15. petertheplumber

Yes Tom but have you considered the cost of tiling, labour and material and job takes longer too.;)

16. vee-tail

vee-tail New Member

I wonder if Tom has been called to repair the almost inevitable damage caused by leaks from tiled showers.
    The tray (usually without upstands!) has to be fixed to a flexible wooden floor, the two side walls tiled, and the doors fitted to the tray and the walls. The whole lot depends on a few tubes of sealant for watertightness, and after a short time leaks develop and start to rot the surrounding structure. In contrast a good shower cabin is completely leak proof and will last for many years. I have installed two, the first more than 30 years ago. They were both German made and solidly built to last. Here in UK Aqualux make good shower cabins, but still the best are German made by Home Delux.  Why not go for a steam shower to deal with our UK climate. :)

17. petertheplumber

I must say that if a shower tray and screen as Tom describes is done properly the it can last a good many years, it fails uasually because it was installed properly in the first place. the tiled area should be tanked first but rarely is.

18. Gummo

Gummo Active Member

Vee-tail, have you a link to a good Home delux site?  My contractor's against cabins due to his claim that parts needing replacement would be difficult to source, if indeed they were actually replaceable.

19. petertheplumber

20. vee-tail

vee-tail New Member

http://http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290873569175?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

http://http://www.jtspas.co.uk/steam-shower-cabins-364-c.asp

http://http://www.aqualux.co.uk/steamcabins/index.asp?style=shower_cabins_4

Here are some more.

Edited to add: Home deluxe and some others make shower cabins IAW a very stringent German safety specification: The German CE standard, plus the International ISO 9001 standard.  This means that you can expect thick 6mm safety glass, and lots of quality (meaning very heavy!) in the build quality. Also the steam units are not likely to fail prematurely or suddenly explode & scald you.
    Probably not the case if you buy a Chinese made cabin without any back up and/or not made to any recognised standard.  In the end you get what you pay for, and cabins are not cheap.