shower cable part 2

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by westbrom22, Nov 14, 2003.

1. westbrom22

westbrom22 New Member

Having just read the thread on this forum re cable size for showers, I am ‘on the horns of a dilema’ .
    I have just removed my 9.5kw shower in order to re-tile my bathroom - - this shower has been there ever since I have lived there, and noticed its is wired using 6mm cable. I have never had any problems with this shower but now I am a little worried about putting it back without changing this to 10mm - - I’m sure your aware of the ‘hassle’ this would be.
    Am I in danger of my house going up in smoke if I leave things as they are ??

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

With a 9.5kW shower you are borderline on the 6mm. The tables in the regs show that 6mm would be okay if the cable is clipped direct (Ref method 1) however most cables do tend to encounter a variety of situations on their route through the house. It would be adviseable IMHO to upgrade your cable to 10mm2. I know its a hassle but better safe than sorry!!

3. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

unphased is right - you are on the borderline. Do you know what route the cable takes? Is it all bunched up with others, or insulated anywhere?

Obviously things have been OK so far - if this has been there for years and there's been no fire yet...

But I would say replace it - as you are retiling anyway, you never know - when you replace the shower you might prefer a more powerful one, and now you know that it's only 6mm, you'll be fretting all the time.

If it were me, I would immediately run 10mm from the switch to the shower, then the retiling etc can be finished and everything put back. As a separate exercise you can run 10mm from where the switch is to the CU, leaving the 6mm in place, and if that has to be done in stages then you'll still have an operational bathroom. Once the cable reaches all the way it's a quick job to connect each end.

4. westbrom22

westbrom22 New Member

thanks to you both for your time here.The cable comes up from th CU, located under the stairs - goes under the floor-boards for maybe 6ft, into airing-cupboard to a switch. From here it goes under paster to shower unit, maybe another 5ft or so. I was happy with this until I read this forum - - - ain't ignorance bliss :) Like you both, I would be easier in my own mind if I changed it - - -, but 'er indoors sez
    "as it ain't broken, don't fix it, its been working all this time and your just looking for an excuse not to do all the other little jobs round the house"
    or words to that effect

5. westbrom22

westbrom22 New Member

it may even go under the 'plaster' -)

6. chtechie

chtechie Member

I agree that in an ideal world you should upgrade but if your shower's been there a number of years you could always replace thus bringing it more in to the operating spec of a 6mm cable. However what is just as important is your fuse rating. The main purpose of the fuse/mcb is to protect the cable so the fuse should not be rated above the capacity of the cable - you've said the cable isn't clipped direct so the largest fuse/mcb you should use is 30/32A. . Mm!

7. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Tell SWMBO that if you replace it now, whilst a redecoration is in progress, then when the shower breaks (as it surely will - they all do), you can fit a hotter one. Don't tell me she's never moaned in the depths of winter about how feeble the flow is....