Shower Cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pande, Nov 18, 2003.

1. pande

pande New Member

Hi Guys,

I've read a lot of the shower cable posts and decided whilst installing a new shower cubicle to change the part of the existing shower cable theat was buried in the wall from a 6mm to a 10mm cable. This will lead to a 50amp MK pull switch where the existing 6mm cable runs along the loft and back down the cavity to a memera 2000 fusebox with a 35 amp fuse which is used solely for the shower.

Firstly will this work with the change in cable size?

Also what would the max kw shower I could have on this? I've read that you can have 6mm cable running a 9.8kw shower as long as its not covered? is this correct?

2. ban-all-sheds

ban-all-sheds New Member

Change in cable size is fine - it's going from a larger to a smaller that is iffy.

It's 9.6kW - 6mm cable is rated at 40A, 40 x 240 = 9600, and as you are obviously aware this figure could come down for long runs, or where there are insulation or cable grouping factors to consider.

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

.........6mm cable is rated at 40A....

You ought to know better than make this statement. It is NOT rated at 40Amps. Its rating IS dependent upon the method of installation, temperature and all the other factors...

Using 6mm2 cable for a 9.5kW shower is VERY iffy and as all previous advice I have given it is not worth the doubt. Just use 10mm2.

4. supersparky

supersparky New Member

i agree, 6mm is only good if your shower happens to be on the other side of the same wall as the cu.

BR