shower cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dj., Aug 29, 2004.

1. dj.

dj. New Member

i will be doing my bathroom next year, but currently am doing the kitchen, so i thaught that i could run a new cable into the bathroom and leave under the bath until i get the shower fitted. my question is that i want a powerfull shower, something like this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=12773&id=25590
    what cable needs to be installed, and do i need to run an earth with it? i would rather go ott with size of cable leaving my options open as to size, in kw, of shower.
    dj.

2. electrical?

electrical? New Member

the shower listed is a mixer shower which is run of your heating system and doesn't req and electrical connection at all,(except earthing) unless you add a seperate pump which is not shown..

3. dj.

dj. New Member

yes i only posted that to show the type of shower ie a panel shower, but the shower i get will have to be an electric one. having said that do they make an electric panel shower? any links would be appreciated.
    dj.

4. Jonny

Jonny New Member

10mm T&E is a safe bet, and a seperate CPC shouldn't be necessary, but include a 6mm CPC if you like! This will give you provision for any domestic shower available.

5. dj.

dj. New Member

cheers jonny
    sorry i know nowt about electrics somebody will be doing the installation for me.
    i will use 10mm t&e i understand that bit.
    what is cpc, is that earth cable if so is it a better/safer job installation if it is used.
    oh and will it run / should it run on it's own fuse in the cu?
    dj.

6. Damocles

Damocles New Member

yes, cpc is earth, coloured green and yellow if its a single cable, or uninsulated inside twin-and-earth cables. use green and yellow sleeving to cover it wherever a combined cable is stripped back exposing bare wire.

Some people recomend running a separate earth to bathrooms. This is not part of the wiring regulations, so you can reckon that a lot of top electricians have considered the problem and decided that a separate earth is unnecessary. The twin and earth already contains its own earth.

However....it is considered necessary to connect together any metalwork which runs through the bathroom with earth connections. This really means pipework, taps, metal baths. These should be connected to the earths on any electrical equipment in the bathroom, such as the shower or lighting. The idea is that it is impossible to get a shock between any two things if they are all already wired together. (see other posts elsewhere if you really want the details)

Yep, a high powered water heater does need its own fuse, or preferably MCB (switched breaker which generally now replaces fuses). Also a RCD is recomended somewhere, This is a sensitive device which switches off fast if there is any current leaking to earth. Perhaps you already have one planned covering the sockets.

7. dj.

dj. New Member

damocles
    thanx for explaining everything the simple way for me, much appreciated. the house was rewired about two years ago so i do have the switched beraker. there is also an earth from a gas pipe and upstairs the water pipes are earthed to the gas pipe, at least i think thats how it was done. i am happy about size of cable and fuse/breaker my only outstanding thaught is the earth...should i put another in or not? cost-irrelevant, i am running a cable into the bathroom so it isn't any more work to put another with it. i only plan on doing this once so could future regs state that you need a seperate earth for the shower? just a thaught.
    dj.

8. Jonny

Jonny New Member

Just include it anyway dj, if it may be needed in the future (unlikely, but easy enough to do). You don't need to worry about fuses or MCBs at this stage if you are not yet installing an electric shower - just leave a small coil of cable under the bathroom and near the consumer unit.

Jon.

9. dj.

dj. New Member

thanks fellas

dj.