Shower Cubicle With Window In The Way

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by PDPS, Sep 13, 2006.

1. PDPS

PDPS New Member

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with this. Personally I think whatever I do it'll look a mess.

Customer wants to put a 900mm quadrant shower in the corner of his bathroom. The problem is that on one wall about 200mm width of a window is going to get in the way.

Other than laying the bathroom out a different way, any suggestions?

2. Spyder

Spyder New Member

Glaze over the gap. Seal round it. Access space to clean from side.

3. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

Build a frame within the window opening, Seal the window shut then overboard the wall over the window.

If this is the only window you will need a fan that is protected by an isolating switch.

Oh and some lights.

4. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Why not just make the window smaller, assuming it's a good size to start with. In my experience not a big job for a builder.

5. PDPS

PDPS New Member

The window is about 1.5m wide. Recently fitted uPVC double glazing. I think replacement with a smaller one would not be an option.

Another thought might be to build in some glass shelving. That might look ok if I bond a strip between the frame of the shower and the double glazing unit, then add shelves for shower gels and other accumulated showering type ****. I need to check which lights are the opening ones, though.

I'll be going back to see the customer next week and will suggest Spyder's solution which seems economic and not too untidy.

Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.

6. Spyder

Spyder New Member

I had a customer ask for a power shower to be fitted over a bath which had a window in the shower area. I purchased a mounting pack for a frameless overbath screen from wx. I went along to my local glaziers and asked them to cut, drill and polish a strip of glass ~150mm wide and to toughen it for me. I fitted the hinge, glazing and cut down sealing strips on the front edge of the window ledge. Looked great and worked very well.

7. ake a look at the Aqata Optima, it's a 900mm shower but designed to use minimised wall space by not bein a quadrant.

I've used this showr in situations where a normal Quad wouldn't fit due to obstructions.

http://www.aqata.co.uk/optima.html

8. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

Is that expensive Mudster ?.
    Its certainly a good option for the OP,s problem.

9. PDPS

PDPS New Member

ake a look at the Aqata Optima, it's a 900mm shower
    but designed to use minimised wall space by not bein
    a quadrant.

Definitely a possibility.

I didn't take the measurement from the corner of the room to the window, so I can't be sure yet. It'll be close.

I'll be making another visit some time next week with the builder who is going to sort out a new staircase (we need to coordinate the work between us) so will measure up and suggest this option to the customer if it will fit.

Many thanks.

10. Is that expensive Mudster ?.
    Its certainly a good option for the OP,s problem.

Aqata aren't cheap, they are built to a similar quality and price to Daryl, so the 900 Optima comes in at about £1,200 for the entire unit, screen tray and waste system.

It's a raised tray on adjustable feet but one of the most solid units I've ever fitted, generally I prefer a stone resin tray.

11. r2d2

r2d2 New Member

Very Nice.
    What makes the shower valve ?.
    Is the hot/cold delivered down the large surface mounted chrome pipe ?.

12. paaulyb

paaulyb New Member

looks like a quartz with jets

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

After spending all that cash on the bathroom suite, you could have thrown in a toilet-roll holder!!!!:)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

14. looks like a quartz with jets

Yup, Quartz off the wall all workings in the loft,

15. After spending all that cash on the bathroom suite,
    you could have thrown in a toilet-roll holder!!!!:)

Mr. HandyAndy - really

Yeah, the customer wanted one of those free standing jobbies, didn't want any holes drilled in the marble.