Shower Drain Pump?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by farrelj, Apr 27, 2010.

1. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Hi All,

Having redone my en suite, the new shower is lower than the previous one (it was previously on a plinth). I'm not surprised to discover that it now drains a lot slower. I'm thinking that I can fit a drain pump as I have access to the drain at the other end of the room but struggling to find a suitable product that's not marketed for Marine use (such as the Whale Gulper 220).

Anyone got any experience or recommendations for a domestic shower drain pump?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, James.

2. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

have a look at phlexicare pumps, have used them before , BUT they are noisy and best avoided really if possible, the sump is undersized IMHO , i have replaced with a deep shower trap and a piece of 40mm waste pipe to create a better volume, nicholls and clarke make them.

3. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

failing to plan = planning to fail!

Only marine pumps, Whale have discontinued their domestic pump.

4. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

look in the healthcare section

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Why don't people just do it right the first time?

7. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

as you say capn, failing to plan etc, hes thought about the aesthetics but not the practicalities :(

8. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Thanks for the friendly words Captain Leaky; if you've not got anything helpful to say why bother wasting your time and my time by replying? I've been flicking through some posts on talkscrewfix.com today and I'm amazed at the number of posts that are people simply having a dig and a laugh at the person asking the question, is this what this forum is all about or are there some good guys out there too?

Nowman Hassan likes this.
  9. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

sadly the capn is right, is the pipe new or existing ?? could be full of carp

10. farrelj

farrelj New Member

it's existing pipe; I tested the flow before sealing in the shower and it "seemed" fine - obviously not the case now it has the volume of water from the shower to contend with. I'll have a look into the Phlexicare product. Thanks.

11. farrelj

farrelj New Member

actually, just looking through whales healthcare section it does seem to suggest that the Gulper 220 is the pump that they use for the Automatic Standard / Automatic Wetfloor setups. I'm now confused; is it a Marine Pump or Domestic Pump, maybe it's both? I think I'll speak to Whale...

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

You can fit a Whale but it really is a last resort I'm afraid.

13. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Thanks Captain.

Not withstanding the lecture about Prior Planning and Preparation Preventing P155 Poor Performance, can you explain a little bit more about why it's a last resort? I'm struggling to see the negatives. It's a fairly cheap pump at around £80 and prevents the needs to start ripping up floors, taking the base and the tiles out and effectively starting again, to me the latter sounds more like a last resort but admit I could be missing something about the pump solution.

14. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

What hes saying as a last resort is to use a noisey pump,pumps should only be used as a last resort. Seems to me youve screwed up in the first place and now trying to dig yourself out of a hole. I,d wish you good luck but I wont.Next time you want info from pro Plumbers such as the Capn, have a bit more respect.BTW dont forget to get a qualified Sparky in to wire it up.Expensive cock up. :^O :^O

15. farrelj

farrelj New Member

I have the utmost respect for professionals which is why I came here looking for advice; instead I get a barrage of "Oh yeah! smiley", "screwed up", "planning to fail". Do you think I don't know this already?

Again, I came here asking for some advice and am astonished at how unfriendly the responses have been. It seems to me that people are on here for amusement, to have a laugh at other peoples misfortunes and get a bit of a thrill out of telling people how much they messed up.

Going back to the point though are we saying a pump is a last resort because its noisy?

16. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Fit it and see,smart *

[Edited by: admin]

17. G Brown

G Brown New Member

noisy, unreliable and prone to blocking...... ;)

18. farrelj

farrelj New Member

I'm not trying to be smart; actually on the I contrary feel quite stupid given the situation I find myself in. I just didn't expect a reputable trade site like screwfix to host a forum where you can't ask a seemingly simple question without getting abuse.

19. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Your obviously a sensitive chappie, diddums, nasty Plumbers. :^O. Now stop bleating like a stuck pig.

20. farrelj

farrelj New Member

not sensitive just thoroughly * off

[Edited by: admin]