Shower Drain Pump?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by farrelj, Apr 27, 2010.

1. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Look mate,cant you get access to the trap from under a floorboard,re-route pipe work to access soil pipe lower down and blank off existing?

2. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Thanks, yeah could be an option its on the first floor so would need to access it through the ceiling of one of the downstairs rooms. Not sure what's involved in re-sheeting and plastering a ceiling but maybe worth it if these pumps are really that bad.

3. spongeblob

spongeblob New Member

Can you get the pipe to outside if its poss to pick up the soil pipe

4. farrelj

farrelj New Member

The downpipes are internal in my house but would be accessible from the same room which is under the en-suite. I maybe do some research into what's involved with going through the ceiling.

5. G Brown

G Brown New Member

'tis a PLUMBERS forum!

Not a touchy DIY'ers forum.

Go to DIY donuts if you can't stand the mickey taking ;)

6. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Point taken - I'll go leave you Plumbers to it then.

Admin - Perhaps you should put a notice on the front door saying, "DIY'ers strictly not welcome".

7. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

Firstly, don't mock the captain. His advice is spot on. It is good to have experienced people like him answering our questions.

When you see the number of people who ask a question, get told a sensible reply and don't even bother to say a word of thanks, it is no surprise that there is a bit of leg pulling.

Have you considered Saniflo's shower pump?

The big disadvantage of pumped showers is if long haired teenagers do not regularly clear their hair out of the shower trap. You really need an easy to clean top opening one.

8. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Thanks Measure2cut1, I did come across Saniflo but their products looked more like macerators so discounted them a bit too quickly by the looks of things. I've just seen their product called Sanishower. Has anyone got any practical experience with it? Is it noisy?

The more I think about it the more inclined I am to go through the ceiling downstairs (thanks spongeblob) but with our first kid due to arrive soon I'm not sure the disruption down there would we welcomed. No long haired teenagers ...yet...

9. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

If you can't raise the shower which is the correct solution then lowering the waste run is the only other option.

10. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Got to agree with the skipper and most other people.

Pumps are a solution to a problem but the problem is inadequate fall and you would be far better off resolving that if at all possible.

11. farrelj

farrelj New Member

Ok thanks all. Guess I just need to decide and get on with it now. Still like to hear if anyone has any practical experience with the Sanishower though?

12. natrosol

natrosol New Member

Thats the spirit,Gotta take a bit of stick or there,s no fun-I,ve asked loads of silly "questions"and got some stick-but in the end you get what you came on here for,careful through that ceiling now :)
    cheers Natro

13. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

you got some stick ?? :^O