Shower ensuite advice

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by tore81, Jul 12, 2018.

1. tore81

tore81 Well-Known Member

Hi all

Have a 3 bedroom house with a small bathroom only enough room for a bath.

I would like to install a shower there but do maybe selling house in the future have been told to fit a bath as more sellable

But I have a big room next door which would be ideal for a ensuite shower.

But the problem arises where I want the shower would be where the window is if I was going to stud off. I have just replaced the windows aswell so don't really want to brick up. Move window etc! Want it to stop it from looking really random like a shower in a bedroom. Has anyone seen or have any ideas.

Thanks tore

2. rogerk101

rogerk101 Active Member

What are the dimensions and layout of the bathroom? The room dimensions, the location of the door, and the location of the window(s). Everything else can be moved, so don't even include them in your starting point.

I recently refitted our 2m x 2m bathroom which used to have a bath with shower, a bog and a basin. No one ever used the bath as a bath because it was always full of shower limescale and other manky stuff.

My wife and I spent hours trying to lay it out such that we could separate the bath and the shower, and eventually hit upon a solution. We now have a bog, a 600mm wide basin unit, a 900mm corner shower, and a 1700mm x 725mm bath. It doesn't look or feel cluttered; so it's amazing what you can fit into a small room when you remove all imagined constraints. Yes, I had to run new water and waste pipes, and yes, I had to make new cuts in some floor joists (which I doubled up to counteract the new cuts), but it was well worth the head-scratching exercise. While I was at it, I vaulted the ceiling and installed a skylight, so the room now feels even less cluttered than it did before, despite having much more stuff in it.